Discuss Plastic waste in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The wiring accessories I use, Hager, come in a cardboard box inside that box is 10 more cardboard boxes. Inside those boxes the individual accessories are each in a plastic bag, inside that bag is another plastic bag with the faceplate screws.

Cardboard I'm kind of ok with but the plastic bags I'm not so sure about.
I agree if it’s easily recycled then we should be doing our bit, but do they really need all those bags?.....in a box of ten accessories surely they could put all the screws in one bag at the least?

I agree if it’s easily recycled then we should be doing our bit, but do they really need all those bags?.....in a box of ten accessories surely they could put all the screws in one bag at the least?

The problem with that is if you want to buy less than ten, the wholesaler would either need to stock individuals and boxes of ten, or open the bags of screws and probably loose them.
Some white plastic accessories do still come with the screws in moulded clips on the back of them.
GET square edge plastic accessories come with screws clipped to them and packed in cardboard boxes with cardboard dividers, no plastic, but their round edge stuff is in plastic bags, there's no consistency.

Route cause is suppliers making the conscience choice to not use materials that can be easily recycled AND local governments for not using waste companies that recycle everything; time and time again we get letters from local authorities reminding us what can and can't be recycled and the vast majority of the "can't be recycled" stuff CAN be recycled but Thier choice of waste management company doesn't have the facilities to do so.

You can argue supply and demand and consumers being the root cause but there has to be some responsibility on the producers and suppliers for the choices they make.

The problem with this post is the focus on recycling, this is like ppe, it is the last resort.

The primary focus must be on reduction, the reduction of the waste in the first instance.

Then, and at the same time, reuse, the reuse of the same items again and again. The classic example of this is the milk bottle, years ago the milkman collected the bottles and they were refilled, now they all go in the bin.

Recycling uses a huge amount of energy, reduction uses the least energy and reuse is in the middle.

The problem with this post is the focus on recycling, this is like ppe, it is the last resort.

The primary focus must be on reduction, the reduction of the waste in the first instance.

Then, and at the same time, reuse, the reuse of the same items again and again. The classic example of this is the milk bottle, years ago the milkman collected the bottles and they were refilled, now they all go in the bin.

Recycling uses a huge amount of energy, reduction uses the least energy and reuse is in the middle.
Absolutely! problem is, packaging manufacture is big business. I've done some work on a few packaging manufacturing companies 2 of them shared the same industrial estate and occupy 2 of the largest buildings on there with huge revenue generation.
The issue being that the short fall in revenue & jobs lost due to reduction would have to be found from other sources. Most likely, hence, the levy to companies using plastic. The government/s are always in a quandary about how to save/make money but at the same time appear to be showing concern for the environment. Bottom line is, we as the tax payers will foot the bill regardless.

There will be no escape from this!

But, because I do care and I do want to do my bit and I want to share the responsibility of looking after this planet, it grieves me that it will ultimately cost me and innocent hard working tax payers for the greed of others. I remain motivated by taking the view that the unavoidable cost to me is an investment for my children and their future.

If you take the time to sort the plastic into different types it's a lot easier to recycle. There are schemes run by companies like terracycle who can recycle plastics which are not normally recycled. Some plastics can be used to make Ecobricks which can be used in some construction projects.
If you're interested in the environment I've started a Facebook group" help the environment"
(Sorry we don't push members to facebook - group URL removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you take the time to sort the plastic into different types it's a lot easier to recycle. There are schemes run by companies like terracycle who can recycle plastics which are not normally recycled. Some plastics can be used to make Ecobricks which can be used in some construction projects.
If you're interested in the environment I've started a Facebook group" help the environment"
(Sorry we don't push members to facebook - group URL removed)
Hi,

I've removed your facebook group URL. We tend to try and avoid pushing people to facebook.

Lovely what you're doing and I hope it works out. But facebook don't have the best policies when it comes to peoples data and we tend to try and help people keep their data safe and secure and not flog it on like they do.

The moment somebody joins your group they leave themselves open for advertising 'attacks' based on their view on the world. And that's not cool on facebooks part.

Our local council recycle most stuff, but not fly away plastic like crisp packets and cling film. That goes into general waste, and all gets taken to place where its burnt, and the energy captured. The place I work at, all the recycling & waste is burnt. Only things like mattresses go to our landfill.

I'm with @davesparks, we should cut down our reliance on plastic & packaging. When I was a lad, we had one dustbin collected weekly. And it contained, as in the name just ash from the coal fires. Food waste, was collected by local pig farm, who dropped off pig pooh & straw, which me Dad spread on the veg garden. No plastic I can remember, and when Mum went shopping, she took her own bags, like we are starting to do now. Only got a freezer in my early teens. Dad had a car, but was only used to go out at weekends etc. Everyone either walked or cycled to work & school.

Hi,

I've removed your facebook group URL. We tend to try and avoid pushing people to facebook.

Lovely what you're doing and I hope it works out. But facebook don't have the best policies when it comes to peoples data and we tend to try and help people keep their data safe and secure and not flog it on like they do.

The moment somebody joins your group they leave themselves open for advertising 'attacks' based on their view on the world. And that's not cool on facebooks part.
Hi,

Sorry about that Dan. The group's doing quite well 200 people have joined since May from around the world, the group covers the whole range of environmental issues not just climate change. It's a public group so if you want to have a look without joining that's great.
It's good to see the electrician's forum being really active.
[automerge]1574442444[/automerge]
Our local council recycle most stuff, but not fly away plastic like crisp packets and cling film. That goes into general waste, and all gets taken to place where its burnt, and the energy captured. The place I work at, all the recycling & waste is burnt. Only things like mattresses go to our landfill.

I'm with @davesparks, we should cut down our reliance on plastic & packaging. When I was a lad, we had one dustbin collected weekly. And it contained, as in the name just ash from the coal fires. Food waste, was collected by local pig farm, who dropped off pig pooh & straw, which me Dad spread on the veg garden. No plastic I can remember, and when Mum went shopping, she took her own bags, like we are starting to do now. Only got a freezer in my early teens. Dad had a car, but was only used to go out at weekends etc. Everyone either walked or cycled to work & school.
Terracycle recycle plastics like that, some towns already have schemes set up where they collect the plastic and terracycle arranges free collection

Reply to Plastic waste in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net