Discuss PLEASE READ what size of earth wire do i buy? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

juliasn

I want to change my plastic light switch faceplates with metal ones, what size of earth wire do I buy to connect to the faceplate? and is it measured by the voltage it carries or the thickness of the copper wire?

There are formulas for working out the size earth wiring must be but they can be a bit complicated. As a general rule if you use the same sized earth wire as the other wires in the same circuit it should be fine. What sized fuse or circuit breaker is your light circuit on in the CU?

diy forum please, marvo.

You will need to ensure the existing earth wire to the backbox is doing its job ...IE it is fully connected all the way through back to the consumer unit and the resistance of it is low enough to carry any fault and trip the fuse within a specified time.

This can only be done with knowledge of the permitted Earth loop impedance values and a tester to suit... if you assume any existing earth wire is ok and it turns out it is not you put yourself and your family at risk from injury or death should you have a fault on your circuit... DIY is fine in some instances but when your exchanging your switches to conductive ones its requires a lot more than what size earth is required.

soz. can't read that as it's over written with electricians forum is a trading something or other.

Reply to PLEASE READ what size of earth wire do i buy? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've bought a "yagusmart" smart switch from Amazon and it has no earth terminal. Although there are no metal facing parts I would think the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm wondering if it's permitted to replace an outside wall light myself if I use the existing wiring from the old light. In theory I just...
Replies
Views
I have a strip light in the kitchen operated from a single switch. I want to replace it with a straight bar 4 spot array. There are three supply...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a 220v House I want to change this switch to smart switch, but I am stumped, I don't have a neutral so I had to return the switch I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock