Discuss Post for the old man, anyone on here work for FH wheeler between 1966-1975 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sam cook

My dad was wondering whether there was any sparks, mates, people who worked for FH wheeler which later became crown house engineering I believe between 1966 onwards.

It would be great to here people's start to the industry and what's been the biggest change for them present to past.

Look forward to some replies !

Thanks
Sam

My only input on this topic,would be that i remember Tarmac bringing them in the group,and then later,they did something that no business analyst,has ever explained to me properly...they "de-merged" from them :)

My comments on industry change,would be,that as a kid,an electrician (nobody used "spark") could have his tackle in a haversack,on a pushbike,would dead-test using a sweep of one hand on an exposed terminal,would always blow the dust out of fuse wire holder,and use expensive tape,as a last resort...

Now,of course...nobody gives a damn about safety ;)

remember years ago working on telecomms ( we called them phone lines back then ). 2 wire.... tongue test. OUCH! that's the B leg, so the other one is A.

My only input on this topic,would be that i remember Tarmac bringing them in the group,and then later,they did something that no business analyst,has ever explained to me properly...they "de-merged" from them :)

My comments on industry change,would be,that as a kid,an electrician (nobody used "spark") could have his tackle in a haversack,on a pushbike,would dead-test using a sweep of one hand on an exposed terminal,would always blow the dust out of fuse wire holder,and use expensive tape,as a last resort...

Now,of course...nobody gives a damn about safety ;)
My dad was wondering whether there was any sparks, mates, people who worked for FH wheeler which later became crown house engineering I believe between 1966 onwards.

It would be great to here people's start to the industry and what's been the biggest change for them present to past.

Thanks
Sam

Thanks
Sam
Myself (Richard Day) and Stuart Turner were apprentices at FH Wheeler in Scunthorpe from about circa 1964/1965. We both left at the same time and joined the RAF in 1968 when work for Wheelers got scarce. While at Wheelers I worked on several contracts on the steelworks, power stations, pumping stations and house bashing. I even did work out of Sheffield at one point. When work got scarce I remember being stuck in Wheelers yard workshop spending many days repairing a mountain of defective electric drills.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Post for the old man, anyone on here work for FH wheeler between 1966-1975 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net