Discuss Pot lights suddenly tripping breaker every time turned on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mwhyte

DIY
Reaction score
Hi --

I have a series of 5 pot lights, 10-12 years old, in my kitchen, installed (not by me) when the kitchen was redone in 2010. Never had a problem with them, but now all of a sudden they trip the breaker every time I turn them on.

I replaced the halogens with LED bulbs almost 2 years ago and never really had a problem, though they would flicker a bit at low settings on the dimmer.

The pots are on a circuit with 5 other LFs, all single bulb. Shouldn't be anywhere near enough load to trip the breaker, and never has before.

I've done a bit of reading suggesting that it might be a load issue, but why now when it's never been a problem before? Would love any suggestions. Thanks!

It’s the breaker on the box in the basement that trips. Really bizarre, as we haven’t changed anything at all in years (except bulbs, and that was 2 years ago).

I’m guessing it’s some kind of short, but no idea where. When I take all the bulbs out, everything else on the circuit is fine.

Since the OP, I put all halogen bulbs back in to see if that made a difference. Nope. So it’s not the bulbs.

wondering if there’s something in one of the lights that’s causing it? Or the switch? Suppose I could try replacing the switch with a new one first to see if it makes a difference ...

A GFCI operates on low current fault to ground in milli-amps whereas a breaker operates on higher current in amps. Either way it sounds like a fault has developed.

and the lights all went out in Massachusetts.

A GFCI operates on low current fault to ground in milli-amps whereas a breaker operates on higher current in amps. Either way it sounds like a fault has developed.

maybe it could be solved by replacing the breaker? Do I need a GFCI breaker if there’s a GFCI outlet in the bathroom?

Hi --

I have a series of 5 pot lights, 10-12 years old, in my kitchen, installed (not by me) when the kitchen was redone in 2010. Never had a problem with them, but now all of a sudden they trip the breaker every time I turn them on.

I replaced the halogens with LED bulbs almost 2 years ago and never really had a problem, though they would flicker a bit at low settings on the dimmer.

The pots are on a circuit with 5 other LFs, all single bulb. Shouldn't be anywhere near enough load to trip the breaker, and never has before.

I've done a bit of reading suggesting that it might be a load issue, but why now when it's never been a problem before? Would love any suggestions. Thanks!
It’s not a load issue, it’s a short circuit issue. If it was a load issue it wouldn’t trip immediately. Somewhere you have a wire going to ground. All I can tell you is open each light until you find your problem

Reply to Pot lights suddenly tripping breaker every time turned on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net