Discuss Power strip causing PC to turn on unexpectedly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, for some reason whenever I turn on my lamp it also turns on my PC. I have little to no electrical experience so I would just like some help with resolving this as it is quite annoying.
(Both the PC and lamp are both connected to the same Power Strip/extension cord)

You get fancy strips that allow one device (typically the PC) to control others (monitor, printer, etc) through its power draw, but I guess this is a simple power strip?

If so it is a little worrying. Usually if the power goes on to a PC it will start up (sometimes configurable in the BIOS) so it is possible there is some poor connection that is causing the power to flicker to your PC when the light is switched.

Can you try another power strip?

Also does the main 13A socket on the wall look OK? No signs of cracks, burns, and the switch operated with a clean click going off/on?

(Daft ideas . com - Plug in another lamp , see if it flickers when turn on offending lamp --)
Any buzzing noises at same time ?
Is the lamp you turn on a touch sensitive one ?

Last edited:
It seems to happen with all the extension leads in my house as well
Does anything else flicker when you switch stuff?

If the one common thing is the PC, perhaps it is faulty, but really you would want to rule out the extensions leads and your circuit supplying the 13A sockets.

If you plug the PC in one wall socket, and then switch a light on/off on another wall socket, do you see the same effect?

If the PC has a standard detachable power cable, I would also swap that as there might be a loose connection in the plug that is being disturbed when you handle the plugs nearby.

Can you confirm whether the PC does turn on by itself when plugged into a known good socket on the wall, i.e. that it is set to restart after power loss? (You can change that behaviour in the BIOS settings). Also, does it ever randomly turn off?

I’ve got a similar problem actually. I have a lamp connected to the the extension lead as my pc, via a LightwaveRF socket adaptor.
When I turn the adaptor off using the remote control, it wakes the pc from sleep mode.

not a huge problem, as I know the pc will go back to sleep again

Reply to Power strip causing PC to turn on unexpectedly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net