Discuss Price of joining a scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry to hijack the thread but on the subject of the schemes. It seems (to me on my limited knowledge) that it's becoming increasingly difficult not be with a scheme?

Sorry to hijack the thread but on the subject of the schemes. It seems (to me on my limited knowledge) that it's becoming increasingly difficult not be with a scheme?

It all depends on what type of work you want to do.

If you never do any work that requires notification (which is easier in England than it is in Wales), then you don't need to be a member. You can generate your own EICs, MEIWCs etc.

Edit - It just so happens though that if you need an EIC, it's likely the job is notifiable (new circuits, CU changes etc.).

Yeh I guess that is the dividing point. I'm being asked to do more work that is notifiable so seriously contemplating it because doing that kind of work without being with a scheme will just be so much extra hard work to organise

I’m just going through joining a scheme right now got my NICEIC assessment on 13th November. STROMA is the cheapest at £280 plus VAT, but only accept minimum of 2 new circuits for you initial assessment, but NOT a CU change, unless you have your level 3 NVQ or higher. NICEIC do accept a CU change, at your own home as well, but their fee is £445 plus VAT.

Massive price difference. They must offer different things overall?

Do they both charge per EIC?

STROMA charge £1.50 per notification, not sure about the NICEIC though. But IIRC STRONA cover you for EICR etc, but NICEIC say domestic installers AREN’T covered for EICR’s, yet I’ve been told any competent person with enough experience can do EICR’s. Check out both their sites for what you get from each scheme, then make your own choice, based on what suits you the best etc.

I’m just going through joining a scheme right now got my NICEIC assessment on 13th November. STROMA is the cheapest at £280 plus VAT, but only accept minimum of 2 new circuits for you initial assessment, but NOT a CU change, unless you have your level 3 NVQ or higher. NICEIC do accept a CU change, at your own home as well, but their fee is £445 plus VAT.
I used two Cu changes (same building separate board to run all heaters on own radial circuits,owners request as per original set up both full rcbo boards)for initial assessment with stroma last January.....

I used two Cu changes (same building separate board to run all heaters on own radial circuits,owners request as per original set up both full rcbo boards)for initial assessment with stroma last January.....

Based on your qualifications baddegg, your cu changes were acceptable, but they point blankly refused my application unless it was a minimum of 2 new circuits. I’m more than happy with the NICEIC now as my nieces partner does some insurance work who only accept NICEIC registered electricians to do their repair work.

I can’t be bothered to argue the legality with an 18yr old “estate agent”,I just ring stroma and move on,let them deal with it

Have you not done your 2394/95 yet then fitz?

Not yet mate, haven’t got the money at present. Don’t think I can get a JIB (gold card) as I’ve not done an apprenticeship or got a minimum of 2 years with a company.

Reply to Price of joining a scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net