Discuss prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LH ELECTRICAL

Hi guys
I was just wondering if anybody could give me an idea on how much to charge on average for a 3 bed property's what includes socket circuits, lighting, cooker circuit, shower circuit, extractor fans, earth bonding and outside lighting. I've just started up on my own after the company I worked for went bankrupt, I know some electricians charge per point, anyway if I could get an idea it would be helpful,
Cheers
Yorkshire area

Try and think of how long it will take you. Is the property going to be occupied or vacant? It will obviousley take longer if its occupied.
When you have worked out how long it will take, work out what hourly rate you would expect, each electrician charges different.
Get on the net and get some prices for all the materials, at a guess they will be around £300/£500 depending where you but them from.
Add the price of materials to your labour and you have your quote. Now some add a little extra just incase something pops up that you didnt expect but at the end of the day, its down to you to decide what the job is worth.

Jay

As above. Really though work out what its going to cost in materials first. I priced 2 x rewires in the same street once and due to the spec it varied by £1000. Once you have that guestimate how longs its going to take and work out a dailys rate. Then of course the dreaded Vat if your vat regersterd.

Its difficult to quote for a job on the info above to be fair

I don't do electrical work at present but my quotes for maintenance works for the company I work for is parts+30%, +vat, then labour by the half hour. If its a longer job (more than half a day usually) we'll normally agree a set price for labour in advance which is where the estimates go a bit wrong (the boss quotes them) and profit margins dip. Try not to sell yourself short, it may be hard to ask for x amount per day labour, but you've got a business to run and a reasonable standard of life to maintain.

Thanks for the advise guys, I think per point would be better, this is my price list can someone tell me if I'm about right don't want to be charging to much or less
Per socket point £40
Per lighting point £40 that's pendent and switch as one point
Cooker point £120
Shower point £150 10mm
Earth bonding £150
Cu unit £250
Extractor fans £70 each
That includes materials
Cheers

Surely you can't make on some of those prices mate? Decent fan could be £30+ then timer/ humidistat etc and cable. Just don't want you to lose out matey too many have and are

Its so hard pricing jobs I have people saying Im cheap and others never getting back to me. With re-wires I find the materials always come to more than I plan and it takes longer. So dont go in too cheap.
Also make it clear that you want a 3rd up front a 3rd afetr first fix and a 3rd at the the end or something similiar. If they change there minds on things go home that evening type up a variatio, including what it will cost and get them to sign it. I`ve been screwed over 3 times last year on money.
Good luck working for yourself...you`ll need it :)

I know what you mean mate I've just done a loft conversion and extension thought it would be an easy job because it was a new build, customer changed the job that many times and adding things on what I didn't charge for and ended up making 300 and taking 2 weeks. That's why I'm asking for some advise see where I'm going wrong

i normally do 2 separate quotes, one for labour and one for materials, in case customer wants some fancy chrome sockets and led downlights and stuff.

In my opinion pricing is one of the hardest aspects of this job.......... no matter how much time I spend on it, I still feel that either; I'm too cheap and cant afford to live, or too expensive and they'll never pay that......dont know the answer its all just guess work......

Reply to prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net