Discuss Problem putting up light fitment in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuart M

Hi Guys I'm not really very knowledgeable about electrics and don't know all the correct terminology so please forgive my ignorance. I wonder if anyone could help resolve a problem I'm having putting up a light fitment in my lounge. The problem (at the moment) is actually to do with the light fitment itself. I bought a light fitment from John Lewis and needed to remove some chain links in the suspension chain of the light (it was way too long). To completely remove the unwanted chain links, I also then needed to unthread them from the cable of the light fitment. To do so meant I had to disconnect the wiring from the terminal block (which came with the light) so I could then slip the cable through the rose (part of the light fitment) to then be able to untread the unwanted chain links. None of the light fitment wires are colour coded so I tried marking the light fitment wires before removing them from the terminal block (with an initial on a piece of paper and attached it to the wire with sellotape). Unfortunately, in slipping the cable through the rose, both the neutral and live markings I had made slipped off. I'm so annoyed with myself as I've now no way of knowing which wire is which as both are silver wiring encassed in a see through plastic. The only thing I have noticed is that there does seem to be some minute lettering running down at least one of the neutral or live wires. I can't make the lettering (coding?) out as it is so small but wonder if this would identify the neutral or live wire of the light fitment? If not, is there another way to determine the wiring given the neutral or live wires aren't colour coded? Obviously, if I'm unable to resolve this problem myself I may try and take the light fitment back to John Lewis as I have subsequently noticed there is a screw missing in the terminal block which means I would have had to transfer the wiring into a new junction box anyway. I hope someone here may be able to help resolve this problem. Thanks.

Are the lamp holders bayonet fittings? If so, then the 2 live conductors will not matter. Although there should also be an earth connection on the fitting somewhere that should be green/yellow..?
The numbers down the side of the flex wont mean anything, and if you was to trace them both to read it fully, they'll probably both be the same.
Or, as said above, they may be double insulated.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
On a BC fitting though there is no polarity requirement like there is on ES fittings

There has to be an earth though as it sounds like its a chandelier of some sort and more than likely made of antique metal

Last edited:
screech, weather its a bc or not, imo its good practice to have neutral to neutral and line to line!

danny

Yes, sorry, i do realise this. BUT, some of these cheaper light fittings dont come with colour coded cores where they cant be identified.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
screech and david agreed, but as op hasn't specified as to weather its a bc or es, thought it would be less confusing just to stick to line to line and neutral to neutral, and as you have both mentioned a "earth" is a must as does sound like a chandelier.

danny

Thanks guys. The light fitment is a bayonet fitting so it sounds as if I have more options? So the silver wiring I described (encased in a see through plastic) could look like this as it is potentially double insulated (as well as looks better on the light fitment) which if stripped back should reveal the colour coding? What I find strange is that the light fitment also has two earth connections on the fitting. The cable has one earth connection and that wire does seem to be slightly green/yellow. Maybe I'm seeing these colours through the silver as it does look almost silver as well. This connection is the only one that retained my marker! There is a second earth connection originating from the light fitment rose itself and is not part of the terminal block (it has it's own junction box). I haven't even thought about what connects in the different earth connections of the light fitment!? Would a multimeter identify which wire is which in the light fitment as I may be able to ask someone tomorrow?

Reply to Problem putting up light fitment in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net