Discuss ProjectSolar, Solar Plants, conflicting advice. One meter 24 panels. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gmax21

-
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer. I thought I posted this earlier but apparently not, apologies if it is a duplicate.

On Monday I'm supposed to be having an 8Kw system (24 x PLM-330MB-66/D Series - Evolution Ultramax with Growatt twin tracker inverter) installed with a Duracell battery (3.3kWh). This will be done by ProjectSolar at a cost of around ÂŁ16k for the lot, 24 panels, inverter and battery.

I own the property, half is commercial, half is residential. Two single-phase meters, one for each (Ground floor commercial, top two floors residential).

ProjectSolar claims they can install this 24 panel, 8kw system on a single meter with the battery and without the need for a DNO because I have two meters at the property.

SolarPlants also quoted for a mid-range system comparable to ProjectSolar and also a premium system with LG (Neon 2 - 320) panels and SolarEdge inverter with a Sonnen 5kw battery. Their Premium package with 18 panels is around the same price as ProjectSolar but obviously generating much less per year.

SolarPlants claim that doing this installation the way ProjectSolar plan to would not be allowed as it's over the permitted installation size without a DNO from Nothern Grid. If I continue I could be liable for costs from Northern Grid and may need to remove panels. Is this true?

Furthermore, they claim that ProjectSolar is using cheap Chinese products which would be next to impossible to claim warranty on in the event of failure and Project Solar not being around or after the first year. They are indeed Chinese products, but the reviews seem ok for the company that makes them (Perlight/Jinko). They claim LG and SolarEdge are far superior products and less likely to fail, degradation rates are better, but in the event that they do have issues, it would be easier to get those companies to resolve issues under warranty should SolarPlants have ceased trading and be unable to offer repairs, that owing to the fact they're such big and reliable companies.

It also seems that on Companies House ProjectSolars assets recently dropped a lot as capital was shifted to the new parent company. Kind of concerns me a little too but this probably means little, I hope. I have solar on another property and I'm having issues with that inverter right now, the company that fitted it is now out of business and it's a pain to try and resolve (I may may not have a warranty and trying to figure that out). Trying to avoid the same mistake and also not to be in deep water with Northern Grid.

I am trying to contact Northern Grid, but have to wait for someone to get back to me, the department I needed was closed when I called today. The issue is the installation date being so close, so I'm hoping someone smarter than I and with more experience could share their advice.

Thanks in advance. :)

Be wary. Any capacity larger than 4.0kw or is capable of sending more then 16A back to the grid, is subject to an ENA G59/3 application to the relevant DNO. Dependant on who your DNO is, they can take up to 45 days to get back to you which might mean you miss out on the FIT.

LG, SolarEdge and Sonnen are streets ahead on every level compared to most manufacturers. ÂŁ16k sounds like a lot of money, though I'm not aware of the complexities. If I had a choice of spending 16k on equipment from either Project Solar or LG, SE and Sonnen, I'd go with the latter without a blink.

SolarPlants claim about warranties on Chinese products is clearly well-founded. I've spent 7 years in the PV wholesale industry and have just started my own business installing. It's a minefield. Having said that, we did a Solar Edge install on Monday and their customer/technical service was streets ahead of anything I've experienced from a Chinese manufacturer in my time.

"Quality over Quantity..."

Best of luck

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up cancelling the ProjectSolar install. I spoke to Northern Powergrid who said I couldn't do this.

I've since commissioned SolarPlants to do the install. It's LG, Sonnen and SolarEdge stuff.

I just realised, I posted on another forum of a very similar name. I thought my post had not gone through for some reason and proceeded to post again. This is part of what I posted on the other site:

LG230 239.50*18 = ÂŁ4,311 - https://www.cclcomponents.com/lg-electronics-320w-neon2-mono-solar-module-60-cell-all-black

SolarEdge ÂŁ3300 - eco7energy.co.uk

Sonnen 5kw - ÂŁ5,806.95 - https://www.cclcomponents.com/sonne...age-system-with-2x-2-5kw-battery-module-white

ÂŁ13,417.95 total. I'm sure there are some things I'm not counting for other materials, and they probably get better prices than that. But once you factor in labour too.... Is that really that bad?

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate you taking the time. :)

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up cancelling the ProjectSolar install. I spoke to Northern Powergrid who said I couldn't do this.

I've since commissioned SolarPlants to do the install. It's LG, Sonnen and SolarEdge stuff.

I just realised, I posted on another forum of a very similar name. I thought my post had not gone through for some reason and proceeded to post again. This is part of what I posted on the other site:

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate you taking the time. :)

No problem, best of luck, happy generating! :cool:

Good luck with it although I'm not sure why someone from Yorkshire would want to use a company based in South Wales (or the Midlands) when there are much better local installers around who would offer you much more personalised ongoing support. A local company would probably also be considerably cheaper.

There are a few Yorkshire-based companies on this forum...

Reply to ProjectSolar, Solar Plants, conflicting advice. One meter 24 panels. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock