Discuss Proving dead & safe iso on Economy 7 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NickD

Interested to hear people's thoughts on best practice for proving dead and achieving safe isolation on an Economy 7 board - the problem being, (unless you work 0000-0700 GMT :wink5:) the Economy 7 supply is unenergised. So 'proving' your means of isolation achieves dead actually proves nothing, because even if you had failed to isolate it'd be dead anyway - the supply is unenergised. And the energisation of the Economy 7 is outside your control, and for life criticality it's not good enough to assume it can only ever come live during the wee small hours - accidents and errors happen.

In increasing order of derangement, my thoughts currently include
- pulling the cutout fuse (would you do it if you were being assessed though?)
- carefully (no touchee copper) removing the Economy 7 tails from the main switch and isolating them in connector block
- insulation testing supply-to-load on both the L and N side of the main switch after turning off, to prove the switch open

(tin hat on, finds parapet)

I was testing an E7 system a few months ago and then at 3pm, just as I was finishing, the timer switched it on. Thankfully I didn't have my fingers in the board at the time. lol

Get a contractor switch fitted.

Prove GS38 Testers on known live source and check circuit is dead is about as much as i can think of - HSE wouldnt take kindly to any risk.
They've even stopped us doing live tests only Zs = Ze +r1+r2 now

Prove GS38 Testers on known live source and check circuit is dead is about as much as i can think of

But that's my point. This proves naaaaathing when the supply is dead anyway, but can be energised outside of your control. Same problem must pop up for PV I guess when it's dark, very cloudy or Wales.

wtf is this sh**e ?
why cant you just turn off the main sw ?
it wont matter if the teleswitch is energised or not.
and as for pulling out tails and sticking in connector blocks ?? get a grip or just pack in electricals before you have an accident..

wtf is this sh**e ?

Risk management.

why cant you just turn off the main sw ?

You can. But how do you know the main switch has done its job and isolated from the supply? Proving dead proves NOTHING because the supply side of the switch is dead. Even if you left the switch closed it'd still show dead.

it wont matter if the teleswitch is energised or not.

It will if your safe isolation didn't actually work but you glibly assumed it did because it all looked dead, and then you're working on it when the teleswitch switches live. It might matter more than anything has ever mattered to you ever.

and as for pulling out tails and sticking in connector blocks ?? get a grip or just pack in electricals before you have an accident..

I did say it was a bit of a random idea; question is whether doing so carries more risk than a possible failed main switch allowing the system to go live while-U-work. Bear in mind you can confirm the tails are dead before you do it. Care is required because the means of energising them is outside your control.

Risk management.

You can. But how do you know the main switch has done its job and isolated from the supply? Proving dead proves NOTHING because the supply side of the switch is dead. Even if you left the switch closed it'd still show dead.

It will if your safe isolation didn't actually work but you glibly assumed it did because it all looked dead, and then you're working on it when the teleswitch switches live. It might matter more than anything has ever mattered to you ever.

I did say it was a bit of a random idea; question is whether doing so carries more risk than a possible failed main switch allowing the system to go live while-U-work. Bear in mind you can confirm the tails are dead before you do it. Care is required because the means of energising them is outside your control.

It would take about 5 seconds to prove the main switch was working

why dont you take your multi quotes and jog on over to the screwfix forum where this sort of topic is highly valued.

Because I thought I might get a more professionally informed answer here, and because they don't have the same quality of troll.

The logic of pulling the E.7 tails would apply to the normal supply, if you don't trust the main switch working.

Minimum required;

Prove continuity on the E7 Main switch whilst ON.
Switch off and prove NO continuity.

If you're replacing C.U or tails, work as you would for a normal supply.

That should have been a fairly obvious one

Yebbut I don't like to think thoughts like "well it's obvious" around safe isolation.

And with due respect I don't think it is that obvious because mere loss of continuity at closure doesn't prove the airgap will withstand the supply voltage. Hence my suggestion of actually IR testing rather than continuity testing. I know this may appear pedantic but I'd rather be a live pedant than an electrocuted whatever-a-smoking-corpse-that-when-alive-was-not-a-pedant-is-called.

Reply to Proving dead & safe iso on Economy 7 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net