Discuss Putting a spur on an old ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

If you want to put a spur on a socket that is part of a ring that is connected to an old CU with no rcd protection would it be ok to surface mount inside some mini trunking?
If you are putting just one double socket on the spur does it need to be fused? and if it was two double sockets you would need it to be fused? There's only about 5 double sockets on the whole ring and it has a 32A mcb. cheers.

if you physically alter the circuit by adding an additional socket you are responsible for ensuring that circuit complies with regs.
you need to put it on an rcd or rcbo

Your new socket still needs to be RCD protected even thou the cable is run in trunking.

All socket outlets less than 20A must be protected with 30mA

Mark

Agree with the above the second you touch a circuit you assume full responsibility for it and it must comply with 17th edition.

Chris

Agree with the above the second you touch a circuit you assume full responsibility for it and it must comply with 17th edition.

Chris

chris can you clarify
ie replace broken socket
swap a light fitting
fit a dimmer
would these also mean whole circ to comply with 17th
thanks

Just out of interest really as i know it would be better to protect the whole circuit rather than just a spur ... but if it was an old board with rewireable fuses that couldn't take an rcbo would it be ok to put an rcd fused unit for the spur.Or is it a case that you would have to say to a potential customer no it can't be done without a CU change - you have to stick with your unsafe trailing flex.

Edit :i thought surface mounted (or below 50mm of the surface) didn't need rcd protection

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the extended part of the circuit has to be RCD protected
And pushrod you could just pull it out of the fuseboard and put an enclosure with RCD in next to the fuseboard

Only the extended part of the circuit has to be RCD protected
And pushrod you could just pull it out of the fuseboard and put an enclosure with RCD in next to the fuseboard

Seems to be some disagreement on here as to what is right :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion about an rcd in enclosure next to fuseboard, hadn't thought of that - would you run it from the same fuse way?

I may be wrong but as I understand it if you alter a circuit you are responsible for the entire circuit as the last one to touch it.

If this is the case then 411.3.3 would apply "socket outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use" this is in relation to additional protection of an RCD.

It can also be argued that providing the property is in the same or better conditon than when we went in but I think thats the building regs?

Can anyone resolve this one for all of us.

Chris

Page 4 of the big red book under introduction to BS7671 2008 imply's that an existing circuit installed to an earlier version of BS7671 may not comply with current regs,but does not imply that said circuit is neccasarily unsafe. Its open to interpritation but I would take it that the original circuit remains and thats ok, with rcd protection being applied to the additional circuit. I guess your back to not leaving the installation any less safe than before you started. The trouble with these new regs is it takes a while before the grey areas are wheened out and given clarity,hence amendmants. In the meantime we are left guessing just exactly what means what.:confused:

The latest edition of IET Wiring Matters has quite an in-depth article on alterations on circuits. They conclude the article to say that if you're altering a circuit then you take responsibility for the entire circuit, hence you need rcd or rcbo protection.

Cheers
Steve

The latest edition of IET Wiring Matters has quite an in-depth article on alterations on circuits. They conclude the article to say that if you're altering a circuit then you take responsibility for the entire circuit, hence you need rcd or rcbo protection.

Cheers
Steve

Ok so ground floor sockets are wired to an older version of BS7671. We alter the circuit with an addition and are duty bound to fit rcd protection so that the entire circuit is deemed safe ie to current regs. Trouble is our actions by admission has only corrected 1 circuit what about the 1st floor ring and the bathroom shower unit and lighting circuit ect ect. Once we start down the road where do we stop. If we are saying the circuit we are working on is unsafe how can we walk away from all other circuits. As I say, the big red book needs clarification.

Its not your responsibility, Why not refer it to the client and let them make the decision as to whether they want to upgrade it to 17th, the 16th edition ran for long enough with little problem

Reply to Putting a spur on an old ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock