Discuss Qualifications in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Itigeezer

Hi,

I'm being made redundant in December from my role within the NHS. Last year I completed the VRQ Domestic Installers + Part P at college as a failsafe. I've a good level of experiecne and working knowledge through a previously uncompleted apprenticeship, some private work (non-notifiable), and work on my own place.

I plan to take control of my own future and set myself up as a Self Employed Domestic Installer, just completing un-notifiable jobs to begin with.

I'd like to get the forums' opinions/advice on what additional qualifications I should get to help boost my knowledge and potential earnings.

My dad and brother have run their own successful Heating businesses for a number of 30+ years so business support is not a problem, I am just looking for a bit of guidance with what qualifications, memberships and/or affiliations would be best in your opinion/s.

I was thinking:

2330 Level 2
17th Ed
Inspection and testing
Competent reg scheme

With the changing qualifications coming in July 2012 I'm finding it a bit of a nightmare to which ones I need to apply for if I could start study in January 2012. I'd also be interested to hear your opinions on which Comp reg scheme is the best / cheapest (NICIEC etc)
and what I'll need to register/pass.

thanks

to increase your earning potential, then get yourself on the 2330, and do both level 2 and 3. then get the NVQ 3. This will enable you to be able to work in more areas, and increase your client base. Also if work were to dry up, you can at least work for an electrical contractor.

As your dad and brother already have a heating business they must surely use electricians, or do electrical work themselves.

If they use an electrician then out him and get your self on a part scope scheme with one of them ELECSA/NAPIT etc, and do the work yourselves.

You can then build up work and experience to go full scope.

to increase your earning potential, then get yourself on the 2330, and do both level 2 and 3. then get the NVQ 3.

Thanks JB, I was looking at the 2330. I think both the L2 and L3 certificates are being replaced with a 2357, along with the 2356, as of July 2012

I'll try and do a bit more research as to what level I can enter the new qual (2357) at and post it up, will probably prove useful for others.

As your dad and brother already have a heating business they must surely use electricians, or do electrical work themselves.

If they use an electrician then out him and get your self on a part scope scheme with one of them ELECSA/NAPIT etc, and do the work yourselves.

You can then build up work and experience to go full scope.

That is definately the plan, although they do a lot of sub work. I do have a few family networks though that will push work my way, not to sound smug, but I don't think it will be a problem once I get going. It's more about up-skilling myself really so I can charge a worhy price and not turn stuff down as not registered etc.

I'll try and do a bit more research as to what level I can enter the new qual (2357) at and post it up, will probably prove useful for others.

I've just got a reply from my Ex lecturer, told him my plans, and he advised to do my 17th and Fundamental Inspection and Testing (domestic only).

Info surrounding the new 2357 - it is only at NVQ level 3 and the only requirement for entry onto the course is employment in the field.

I just thought I'd post the info up for anyone else to referrence if they have similar questions, but thanks to all for your input.

Reply to Qualifications in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net