Discuss Quality lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It’s lockdown and the boss decided to decorate the kitchen. We took down a 5 lamp central light fitting while painting the ceiling.

silly me I decided to check the earth from the connection to the metal bulb holders.
four out of five isn’t bad?

photos attached

circuit incoming earth to choc block.
From chic block a wire to 1st light and onward to second light.
Other lights depend on contact through the metal of the fitting through the hole in the thin material. The material is painted.

I fitted an earth wire between the light fittings .

Now this is quality which I’ve lived with for probably 15 years.

shocking . Shows the even if you check continuity of earth .... there’s always something waiting to be discovered.
example pictures
B9716556-8C98-4FD9-B8FF-780A546657A8.jpeg
A4D7D1F6-D9CD-401E-8834-E67367E7D077.jpeg

Those serrated washers bite through the paint into the metal, have you checked for continuity?

Those serrated washers bite through the paint into the metal, have you checked for continuity?
Yes there was no continuity across the metal from one side to the other. Checked that the ring was tight and wouldn’t tighten any more! Even tried sandpaper round the area?

Sorry my previous entry was not very clear .

when I take continuity test , this is the result.

from incoming earth connector to both sides of stem to lampholder - no continuity.
From other lampholder stem to both sides of lampholder stem - no continuity.
From stem of lampholder between sides of lampholder - continuity.

after fitting earth wire between working stem to failed stem ( under nuts ) continuity works to lampholder.

Reply to Quality lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net