Discuss QUIZ: What type of plug this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a mysterious cable coming out my wall which I believe is the lost puzzle piece to why there's a jacuzzi in our bathroom which has never worked. It's a two-pin power plug which I've never seen, and I'd be looking to get the male counterpart to it which would then plug into UK mains.

So yes, question is firstly:

1) What's this (pictured)?
2) What is the remaining male-UK mains cable I can buy to connect it?

Thank you!

Simon
IMG_4100.JPG

I think you forgot the picture? You can just copy / paste into the reply.

It's unlikely this is anything to do with the jacuzzi to be honest. At least I hope not!
It's also unlikely it would be permitted to connect anything to it.
A very old 2A socket is springing to mind.

I think you forgot the picture? You can just copy / paste into the reply.

It's unlikely this is anything to do with the jacuzzi to be honest. At least I hope not!
It's also unlikely it would be permitted to connect anything to it.
A very old 2A socket is springing to mind.
Thanks Tim! Yes photo didn't upload first time round, strangely, and I didn't notice. You'll get absolute maximum points if you managed to guess the plug without seeing a picture!

Thanks Tim! Yes photo didn't upload first time round, strangely, and I didn't notice. You'll get absolute maximum points if you managed to guess the plug without seeing a picture!
I was wrong! As that is a female plug it shouldn't be coming from the jacuzzi.
I suggest you try and identify the make/model of the jacuzzi, and get the manufacturers installation instructions.
A sparks should be able to see if it's already connected and trace the circuit. If not connected the instructions will be needed to provide an appropriate supply.
While there they can also see if that cable is live and make it more safe if there is no purpose for it.

I was wrong! As that is a female plug it shouldn't be coming from the jacuzzi.
I suggest you try and identify the make/model of the jacuzzi, and get the manufacturers installation instructions.
A sparks should be able to see if it's already connected and trace the circuit. If not connected the instructions will be needed to provide an appropriate supply.
While there they can also see if that cable is live and make it more safe if there is no purpose for it.
Thanks Tim. It's undoubtedly an unusual situation with some bizarre electrics/plumbing, but a plumber did look at the tub briefly and the situation seems to be:

• There's a jacuzzi (which doesn't work - only works as a regular bath) in the bathroom, adjacent to the kitchen, but seemingly no power supply in the bathroom. The plumber looked and said it seemed to be connected (no unplugged ends etc) but there were wires running through the wall.
  • Then, in the kitchen next door, there's this mystery cable, pictured above. The plumber suggested the jacuzzi had been installed with the idea that it's switched on from a power supply in the kitchen, which would just be put into the mains socket. But the final part of the cable seems to be lost (it's a rented flat which I just came into). EDIT: The jacuzzi cable running through the wall in the bathroom comes out at a similar corresponding location in the kitchen.
  • As the cable is small, I wonder if it's technically only a supply to the computer control for the jacuzzi. There is one of these computer controls attached to the tub, but doesn't come on. I wonder if the main jacuzzi is hard-wired into the mains, and it's just that the computer control needs a small power supply to turn it on/make it work - and that this is what the cable above is for.

What do you think? Other key bit of information is that the jacuzzi tub is unsearchable on the internet - there's barely any manufacturer/model info anywhere on it, and the little that is there turns up no results. What's clear is it's a Chinese import, possibly 10 years old or more, hence no results online? Would that also explain the unusual cabling pictured above?

S

Well, as hinted at above, supposing you did have the other bit of the lead....
a) you plug it in the wall, you'd then have 230v on two prongs sticking out of the other end you are about to plug in. Not safe. or...
b) You plug that end in first and discover it's in fact not the bath, and the 3 pin plug pins are now live. Also not safe.

A competent electrician would immediately have many questions in this situation, including
-is the female plug live
-is that even the right cable
-is the cable adequate for the load
-did the manufacturer intend for there to be no earth
-is there suitable additional (RCD) protection available in the house
-Can the circuit this will be connected to be declared safe by means of testing, with a low enough earth loop impedance to operate the over current protective device
-is the water supply bonded
etc.

My advice is that while you might be onto something, for your own safety and that of anyone else using the bathroom, you need a competent sparks to have a look at it. It's took risky on multiple levels to just acquire the matching plug and optimistically power it up.
You don't want to get into a bath of untraceable manufacturer, with unknown installation instructions, and unknown electrical safety, connected via unknown means to a supply of unknown suitability!

Reply to QUIZ: What type of plug this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net