Discuss Quiz in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Just been doing an EICR and as there was no seal I decided to check the rating of the DNO fuse.

The photo below is what I could see!!

Can any one, with any confidence, say whether which rating of fuse it is??

Also would you report the "holder" to the DNO due to the "rust" on it?

Thanks

DNO fuse.jpg

could tell DNO it's smelling weird and crackling. you can't be sure why, as no way would you pull a DNO fuse. :innocent:

Nice bit of heat damage!! you gota think thats happened for a reason, (loose conection, bad fitting fuse) if you put it back and tip toe away!! what could the damage be like in the service head its a fault waiting to happen... get the ocupier to phone.. I hate phoning the DNO .....

Oh my guess is a 1361 60A

Last edited by a moderator:
Ring dno emergency line tell them it was red hot, smoking and smelling bad so you've switched main board off... they will send someone out on emergency and replace the whole cutout hopefully as the cutout receiving pins would be damaged too, the structure of the copper will have been changed under so much heat and may not be able to do its job due to losses in the sprung metal which wouldn't then be able to maintain a tight strong connection, you can also ask if it would be safer to withdraw cutout fuse now or wait for DNO and see what her advice is?

Last edited:
Ring dno emergency line tell them it was red hot, smoking and smelling bad so you've switched main board off... they will send someone out on emergency and replace the whole cutout hopefully as the cutout receiving pins would be damaged too, the structure of the copper will have been changed under so much heat and may not be able to do its job due to losses in the sprung metal which wouldn't then be able to maintain a tight strong connection, you can also ask if it would be safer to withdraw cutout fuse now or wait for DNO and see what her advice is?

Might do that after I've changed the CU on Monday!!

Just been doing an EICR and as there was no seal I decided to check the rating of the DNO fuse.

The photo below is what I could see!!

Can any one, with any confidence, say whether which rating of fuse it is??

Also would you report the "holder" to the DNO due to the "rust" on it?

Thanks

View attachment 10215

There isnt any rust i can see, what your seeing hear is the white/green powder is because the copper has been glowing red hot and is a vapourised copper coating as it reacted with the air ... what still amazes me as i seen this a few times is that the fuse wire inside reacts and fuses to temperature created by excessive current flow, yet the clasp got glowing red on the pins but still didnt conduct enough heat into the fuse wire to melt.

you only get rust on iron and steel. ferrous oxide, Fe03, if i remember correctly. from copper you get copper oxide, and sulphates.

Reply to Quiz in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net