Discuss Random Voltage Drop from 236v to 120v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
BIG place OK lots of electrical bits.
but one on a 3 phase Radial is tripping its RCCB
so i check the wiring making sure its tight and it has continuity
even trust the RCCB that it trips. All ok

but i noticed on phase for a short while it dropped to 120v on my meter.. just Random comes and goes.
as soon as it was back to 236v i did a RCD test on it and ok

any thing on that Phase could be drawing it down to that voltage, and because its getting dropped to that, i guess any singal phase motor on that phase would slow down a lot and any three phase motors would poop themselfs!

how do you track down what is doing this and note it is Random.
i am wondering about Electric Fork trucks being put on Charge

You’ve two contenders : either a large load kicking in and out but long enough for your meter to resolve - or - a cable fault (and I’d be looking at the neutral).

imageedit_1_9119440627.jpg

I've never come across some thing that does this before. I don't have much concept of time so it felt like a minute it was on 120v (and that was with the machine not doing any thing and hooked up), why I think some thing else on the phase is doing it (why isn't any thing else tripping over this)

View attachment 115955
I've never come across some thing that does this before. I don't have much concept of time so it felt like a minute it was on 120v (and that was with the machine not doing any thing and hooked up), why I think some thing else on the phase is doing it (why isn't any thing else tripping over this)
What's the earthing system?

If your meter is measuring line to earth voltage it is likely to be an earth continuity fault which would have no effect on any equipment. A line drop to 120v is likely to have a significant affect.

If your meter is measuring line to earth voltage it is likely to be an earth continuity fault which would have no effect on any equipment. A line drop to 120v is likely to have a significant affect.
That looks like a Metrel display (I have one), they have a permanent 3 wire display that measures the three combinations so I would say that’s a genuine drop on the L.

Reply to Random Voltage Drop from 236v to 120v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net