Discuss RCBO neutral fly leads to bottom of main switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, first post here!

Just wondering on your thoughts on RCBO neutral fly leads being connected to the bottom of a main switch?

Went to replace a cracked double pole switch for the storage heater, went to give it a quick test and came across this. Dual RCD board with an extra main switch added for the off peak supply, obviously not enough neutral bars so they have connected the neutrals from the RCBO’s to the main switch? Personally never come across this before as I would of fitted a separate CU for the off peak, so want to see others opinions?

Attachments

• 1C8047CC-B179-4107-A0D5-FC7F89AD825F.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 55
  • D71E042A-6952-4C3C-A807-488CEBA6D71B.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 7C0CDE37-8A89-4B97-94EF-5AB75D548E38.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 52
Theres plenty of room and cable fo those neutral tails yo go into a separate neutral bar in the CU. Wiring to the main switch is usually seen in smaller garage type boards. I'd guess the torue values for the main switch would be greater than that of the neutral bar and its just whether the neutral fly leads on the RCBO will take that?

Dual tariff boards are nothing unusual. We fit loads of them for on/off peak heating and off peak water heating

I can see why it's been done like that but I would have done it differently. I would remove the RCD spare ways and shuffle everything across then use a DIN rail mounted neutral block to terminate all the RCBO neutrals into.

But an additional board above or below would appear to be a better option in this case.

That clearly isn't a dual tariff board or there would be another neutral bar so therefore the board has been adapted outside of manufacturers guidance.

Reply to RCBO neutral fly leads to bottom of main switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net