Discuss RCD failure rate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It would be interesting to know the kind of failures experienced by the manufacturers, dirt ingress, burnt contacts, overloading, frequent operation, internal component failures or external influence's? Who's going to be first to take one to bits and have a look? unless you have already?
Some years back I got called out by a landlord to a flat with a starbreaker board, two eastern Europeans had partially dismantled the split load RCD (Live!!) because it wouldn't reset. How the feck they hadn't killed themselves I'll never know.

I'd say I've had 50 odd square d rcbos out of about 500 fail this year in a chain of shops I've been testing in. The are about 10 years old and highly doubt they're been tested since they were installed. I expected better of square d however.
It was about 20 years ago I believe That there was re call on square D rcbos .

I have noticed the RCDs and RCBOs that are not operated regularly by use of the test button, appear to become coil bound, perhaps some sort of magnetic field builds up, or they just get hot and stick, apart from the ones suffering condensation damage
used to have the same problem with some communications equipment 45 odd years ago
one of us was dispatched to prod the armatures with a proddy thing made for the job, ie insulated, and with a large end that could not go into the contacts when operated by the company imbecile ( me)
one day I will tell you about the fat lady and her park home, but I have just eaten and feel frail

Reply to RCD failure rate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Keeping this brief.....................New dwelling.....TT system with 100mA S type rcd protected supply to local board with 30mA RCD. Freelance...
Replies
Views
On a TT system the rcd must operate withing 0.2 seconds for many circuits. Why when we test rcd's does it not say 300ms for TN systems or 200 ms...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm installing a Hoover oven and would like a little help please. The oven code is HOC3158IN. The oven manual states "The power cable must...
Replies
Views
Good day. First time poster. We recently had an electrician perform the EICR, as this is a newly purchased property I thought'd I would have the...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Long time member and not a regular user here. I do pop in here when the odd unknown pop's up and unable to locate an electrical dilemma...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock