Discuss Re-Wire Prices in Exeter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alasdair82

Hello

How much for a Re-wire in the Exeter/ South East Devon Area for the following:-

I was estimating £3200 + VAT, is this too high or too low? This includes Materials & Labour, but does not include plastering chases as that would be extra

QtyDescription
26x Double Sockets
4x Fused Spur Units
15x Lights - Pendants
8x Light Switches
1x Cooker Points
1x Electric Shower Points
1x Boiler Power Supply
1x Smoke Alarms
1x Consumer Unit,Bonding & Test
2 x Outside Lights

price looks about right. all depends on if it's occupied and how much furniture moving you need to do, floors and carpets re-laid every day etc.

hang on. rewind a bit. are you quoting for the job, or are you the customer wanting to know if the quote you have had is fair?

I am working on pricelists for a new company which is not yet trading till April/May. So the above would be a representative based on the cost analysis of overheads in the Business planning and would still yield a profit.

I'm a bit confused as to why a company that hasn't started yet (and doesn't know turnover) is VAT registered. Unless all Ltd companies have to do this? You can tell I'm small enough to not have to worry about vat yet! (apart from what I pay out).

If your business turnover exceeds the current VAT threshold level (currently £77,000 from 1st April 2012), then your company must register for VAT.

For a LTD company they must register if they expect to exceed this number even before trading starts.

Your business turnover means the total sum invoiced by your company, not just the profit.

So you can see if you employ a a few Sparks your turnover will be way over the threshold. It is also likely that a busy sole trading Spark who employs a Sparkies Mate could easily be on the threshold as well and could be forced to register for VAT.

Anyway the discussion is not about being VAT registered, it is about wiring prices and whether or not they are in the correct ball park. It is understandable that there will be cheaper quotes around. It is just to ensure that it is not too expensive. VAT however does not Help, but it is the Law for such turnovers.

Well, two things.....

Price is around £53 a point, which is fair enough - though your VAT will push that to £64 in your customer's eyes. As Tel says, it's things like carpet and furniture that can get in the way - though as it's an example, I'm sure you're assuming an easy job with no surprises..... though I can also say I know a forum full of guys still waiting to find a job like that one.

As for the price being "right" or not - well, that depends on many things in addition - does it cover your overheads - employing a "few" sparks is an expensive game - and about to get way more expensive too what with Pensions and RTI, both of which may affect you come April/May....and does that figure allow you to make profit sufficient to make it worthwhile remaining in business? That's really how you should be informing yourself as to the validity of the price you came up with.

Second, though - if you're not trading now, and not planning to trade until April/May, the VAT threshold and/or rate may change (likely not this time around but it may) - and the rules are, in fact that ANY PERSON (by which legal definition a company is included) must register for VAT as soon as it becomes apparent that they will, or may, exceed the threshold for VAT - not just companies.

And HMRC CAN and DO assess your income across different parts of the year to see if you are trying to avoid being VAT registered.

i.e. if your financial year is April to March the VAT man can check any 12 month periods to see if you are over the threshold.

Reply to Re-Wire Prices in Exeter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net