Discuss Real Bad Short! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Project-1

My friends wife mistakenly hooked up their automotive battery terminals backwards. Now the engine does not start. He later correctly hooked up the battery terminals installing the positive cable first. He then went to hook up the negative cable and there is a huge arch. He disconnected the big red wire to the alternator, the huge arch is still there. He has an external electric fuel pump just outside of his gas tank, which now does not hum when the ignition switch is turned on. This is a car project that was running perfectly for years before the his wife went to replace the battery. He has a 350 Chevy engine with a 4 barrel carb and after market distributor. My thought is that perhaps everything that requires a ground wire has possibly shorted out. I'm surprised that the battery did not blow. What would be the best way to find what ever has shorted out? What items should we look at that is probably fried? Thank you for your support, Tommy.

Oh dear, I suspect the damage could be considerable. There's no saying how many electrical items have been damaged or how bad the damage is, the only silver lining to the cloud is I'm assuming if this was a project car that there's no electronic management systems such as ECU. I'd start by bench testing all the electrical components such as alternator, solenoid and starter, fuel pump etc individually and take it from there and you might be better sending the car into an auto electrician depending on what test gear you have and how much electrical knowledge.

misread post. thought it was about this.:

th (3).jpg

Oh dear, I suspect the damage could be considerable. There's no saying how many electrical items have been damaged or how bad the damage is, the only silver lining to the cloud is I'm assuming if this was a project car that there's no electronic management systems such as ECU. I'd start by bench testing all the electrical components such as alternator, solenoid and starter, fuel pump etc individually and take it from there and you might be better sending the car into an auto electrician depending on what test gear you have and how much electrical knowledge.

Yes, no ECU. The project car is of the older Volkswagen Bug. I believe it has a Ford 9" rear end with a Chevy 350 carbureted engine with a Blower. Looks Awesome! My friend is temporarily disabled with Shingles on one of his arms that is why his wife replaced the battery to help him out. She mistakenly hooked up the cables the wrong way. I guess that's all it takes is a few seconds to fry everything that requires a ground cable. I'm sure we can find the problem. It will take time. We are currently waiting for a chance to use his hydraulic rack which is currently occupied with another car. I will set up a day and time when we can make this happen. He definitely needs the support. Thank you for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

Crumbs, sounds serious, I would disconnect the alternator first as they are polarity sensitive. Think the radio may be toast as well, ......... Depends how many things tried to work when the battery was connected.

Crumbs, sounds serious, I would disconnect the alternator first as they are polarity sensitive. Think the radio may be toast as well, ......... Depends how many things tried to work when the battery was connected.
He already removed the alternator wire. It is the single wire type. The huge arch remains. He disconnected all the fuses one by one. The huge arch remains. We are quite sure that the external electric fuel pump is fried. It no longer hums when the key is turned on. I think that the alternator also burnt out as well. For what ever reason, the battery did not blow, and the starter is still working. Not sure about the cooling fan motor or the a.c. Compressor. Lots to check. I'm sure we will find all the faults and replace what ever needs replacing. Thank you for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

My friends wife mistakenly hooked up their automotive battery terminals backwards. Now the engine does not start. He later correctly hooked up the battery terminals installing the positive cable first. He then went to hook up the negative cable and there is a huge arch. He disconnected the big red wire to the alternator, the huge arch is still there. He has an external electric fuel pump just outside of his gas tank, which now does not hum when the ignition switch is turned on. This is a car project that was running perfectly for years before the his wife went to replace the battery. He has a 350 Chevy engine with a 4 barrel carb and after market distributor. My thought is that perhaps everything that requires a ground wire has possibly shorted out. I'm surprised that the battery did not blow. What would be the best way to find what ever has shorted out? What items should we look at that is probably fried? Thank you for your support, Tommy.

Aye well, this is what happens when you give a woman a bit too much freedom. :wink_smile:

He found the shorted out parts. They were the starter, alternator and fuel pump. Thanks for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

Hi,i can understand the alternator,maybe even the fuel pump,but the starter would not be affected,indeed,it is one of the few items which works with reversed polarity. Maybe there has been other issues,to cause this damage,or maybe,just maybe,your auto electrician,needs to earn extra cash,for a holiday in Manchester? :conehead:

From what I was told, he did his own troubleshooting. Who knows, he may have had starter problems before this incident took place. I'm glad he got this problem solved. Thanks to all for your support and concerns. Aloha, Tommy.

Reply to Real Bad Short! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net