Search the forum,

Discuss Recommend a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
I've been off the tools for a while what is everyone's favourite consumer out there. Looking for a min 12 way split board with the option of a couple of ways on non rcd ways.

I personally like Schneider boards but does anyone have any other recommendations taking into account cost, and space inside the board, quality etc.

Obviously needs to be amendment 3 compliant.

Cheers

wht amnd.3? that' don't come into force till january 2016.

That's when I will get round to getting it fitted, plus I like the belt and braces approach.

Are you concerned that you are not capable of fitting it correctly?
If it's in your own house and you are capable of fitting it properly then I see no reason not to install plastic

i didnt think you were supposed to mix brands on new installs

I don't, SBS supply the unit as a Schneider enclosure with their own RCBOs pre fitted. Therefore they have manufactured the assembly and placed it on to the market.
I have purchased it as a premade unit, if I bought it as seperate parts and put it together myself then yes I would be accepting the liability for that.

I don't, SBS supply the unit as a Schneider enclosure with their own RCBOs pre fitted. Therefore they have manufactured the assembly and placed it on to the market.
I have purchased it as a premade unit, if I bought it as seperate parts and put it together myself then yes I would be accepting the liability for that.

Interesting

Interesting

Why? It's no different to most of the cheaper brands who buy their MCBs in from a single manufacturer with their own labels printed on them.
Some reputable brands do exactly the same thing. MK LN breakers were made by Siemens and their original sentry series MCBs (the good ones) were rebranded Merlin Gerin

If that means complying with an idiotic regulation based on sheet stupidity then I'll happily write it up as a deviation.
I am not so stupid as to blindly follow bs7671 without thinking!

Well all my quotes say 'all works to comply with BS 7671'
I don't think that makes me stupid, what would be stupid is not to comply.
Very stupid.

Well all my quotes say 'all works to comply with BS 7671'
I don't think that makes me stupid, what would be stupid is not to comply.
Very stupid.

And bs7671 contains a regulation which permits deviations from bs7671 providing that the deviation maintains an equivalent level of safety. So making a deviation which is comsidered and justified does still comply with bs7671.

And considering how many mistakes get printed in bs7671 I think blindly following it is plain stupid

And bs7671 contains a regulation which permits deviations from bs7671 providing that the deviation maintains an equivalent level of safety. So making a deviation which is comsidered and justified does still comply with bs7671.

And considering how many mistakes get printed in bs7671 I think blindly following it is plain stupid

Make sure you don't take your scam assessor to an installation where you've installed a plastic CCU that isn't in a non combustible enclosure after jan 1st 2016.

Last edited:

As has been pointed out many times on this forum, Bs7671 is not statutory so you don't need a reg to allow deviations. Just ignore it. Though that would be stupid.

Are you talking about printing errors here of mistakes in electrical principle or application.

Make sure you don't take your scam assessor to an installation where you've installed a plastic CCU that isn't in a non combustible enclosure after jan 1st 2016.

I'm not currently in a scam, but for some reason I've seen no sign of the part P police coming to get me.

The last time I did have a scam assessor look at my work he completely missed an extraneous part which I was not bonded. I pointed it out to him after he had passed me and he went bright red and coughed an spluttered his way through excuses. (I put the bond back on to it, I'd removed it just to see if he noticed)

I'm not currently in a scam, but for some reason I've seen no sign of the part P police coming to get me.

The last time I did have a scam assessor look at my work he completely missed an extraneous part which I was not bonded. I pointed it out to him after he had passed me and he went bright red and coughed an spluttered his way through excuses. (I put the bond back on to it, I'd removed it just to see if he noticed)

joining Stroma though are you not? I recon even an incompetent assessor would be able to tell the difference between a plastic CCU and a metal one.

joining Stroma though are you not? I recon even an incompetent assessor would be able to tell the difference between a plastic CCU and a metal one.

Apparently, my new business partner is handling. The majority of the work I do is for our commercial customers.

I'm sure they'll be able to spot a plastic CU quite well, but if I fit one and justify the decision to fit it then they won't really be able to say much.
But having said that I've almost always fitted metal CUs since I was an apprentice as that's what my mentor always used, apart from TT installations of course.

Apparently, my new business partner is handling. The majority of the work I do is for our commercial customers.

I'm sure they'll be able to spot a plastic CU quite well, but if I fit one and justify the decision to fit it then they won't really be able to say much.
But having said that I've almost always fitted metal CUs since I was an apprentice as that's what my mentor always used, apart from TT installations of course.

I think it will be a blatant non conformance.

So in the case of installing a CU in a domestic property, how do you process the notification to LBC?

Can you give us the full name 'SBS', can't find it under that name, and I would like to look at their products.

amendment to my letterheads.:

" all work complies with BS7671 (except for the silly bits)."

Hager all the way.
I used to think that but I haven't been that impressed with the new Design 10 & 30 boards.

The Design 10's felt a bit flimsy compared to the old metal Wylex I was removing. There is no knock-out on the bottom for a cable gland.

The Design 30's felt more rigid but the tail cable clamp impinges on fitting RCBO's next to the main switch. Hager also only supply 1 rear entry cable clamp per board. That's no good for the heating board I fitted with 3 sets of tails, earthing, bonding and up-teen circuits. You can't get that through one hole (as the actress said to the bishop!). No knock-out for cable galnds either.

Manufacturers havent thought this this new Reg through properly from a practical application point.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm with Davesparks on choice, I have a Schneider board ( plastic) with SBS breakers sat on the wall. By the time I get round to completing my own rewire it will probably be next year. Am I going to notify this, I'll not comment on that.

Regards.

I have purchased it as a premade unit.
I can't see that they manufacture anything, just assemble different products, might be wrong? Are they Stansfield Business Services Ltd?

Reply to Recommend a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net