Discuss Regs On Consumer Unit Positioning. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I am struggling to find any sort of information on restrictions to where a consumer unit is actually positioned.
Reasoning behind this is due to the fact i am looking to make a downstairs cloakroom into a downstairs toilet with a wash basing and WC only.
The room is approx 2.5m x 2.5m with the consumer unit positioned on a corner at approx 400mm from the deck.
Is there anything that states that this could not happen? I was also thinking about boxing the consumer unit in and making a full height cupboard for towels etc to be placed.
The property will be a rental property so it will need to be as per the regs.
Any links to info would be appreciated so i can make my mind up on what to do.

Thanks.

Provided that it's not in a room containing a bath or shower and that it's not likely to be splashed with water, there are few restrictions.

Why do you want to put it only 400mm from the floor? It'll be a right pain to install and somewhat more vulnerable to damage and be more accessible to small children?

I think the OP is saying that the CU IS currently mounted 400mm from the floor!

The key is "accessibility", it should be easily accessible to normal persons, should afford protection from nuisance tripping and should be able to find it in the dark!

It would of course still need to be accessible after the cupboard, toilet and basin is fitted. I have heard that 'accessible' is regarded to mean that it is possible to work unobstructed on the unit whilst positioned directly in front of it without the need for ladders or lying on the floor. I couldn't give a regulation number for this definition of accessible however.

Reply to Regs On Consumer Unit Positioning. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net