Discuss Regulator, AC/DC and stators in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I’m after some proper useful advice!

I have a Honda XR650R Australian model.
It had a 75watt stator with 3 coils:
1 ignition
1 DC coil (through reg/rec, capacitor in series
1 AC coil one end earthed to frame, regulated.

I have purchased a 200w stator with the same set up, however ac coil earth is a free cable, not internal. So I can wire it in many ways, all ac, all dc or split.

The ac and dc currently share a ground. This doesn’t cause an issue but I want to add a battery, to stabilise power and to allow a day time running light.

So I wanted a li-ion battery, but this needs a special regulator rectifier, i looked at mosfet type units but they are 3 phase. I could have just used 1 coil and had 1 phase rectification but I am told the unit won’t work as my grounds are shared.

So I want to upgrade my reg/rec unit, how do I know a units power rating. I can’t seem to find info on many regulators or even find out if they will work with a shared ground.

How do I find out the current rating of my original unit?

Would it be easier to remove AC completely and run purely DC?

Any help, I keep hitting dead ends!!!

Regulator, AC/DC and stators 22D236C2-0AB3-47E7-AE03-3DD3F3AA7119 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Regulator, AC/DC and stators 4FD81C9E-2377-46E3-9AA0-762810EB6493 - EletriciansForums.net
    4FD81C9E-2377-46E3-9AA0-762810EB6493.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Regulator, AC/DC and stators 52E53DDC-8B6B-4339-A515-818DABF33872 - EletriciansForums.net
    52E53DDC-8B6B-4339-A515-818DABF33872.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Regulator, AC/DC and stators 8CB5F90D-9376-4794-851C-DD5CF77CD3C9 - EletriciansForums.net
    8CB5F90D-9376-4794-851C-DD5CF77CD3C9.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
You mention that the spec of the standard stator is 75W - is there any reason to think your own one is different? I don't think there is any quick and easy electrical method to determine the rating, you would probably need to look up the part number or compare it to a known one.

I can believe the rectifier/regulator would not work if the AC and DC coils on the stator are both grounded, as the DC negative and AC circuits could then not be connected together anywhere, and they are in the existing wiring (and have to be). I would be more suprised if would did not work on account of the common connection to ground of one side of the AC, and the DC negative. If the two stator coils are isolated, and the DC side only meets the AC downstream if it, I can't see what difference a different rectifier/regulator would make.

However, if you can get enough power from the new stator's DC coil, I'd agree that there is something to be said for converting the whole bike to DC.

Reply to Regulator, AC/DC and stators in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock