Discuss Relocating a consumer unit - Regulations advice needed :) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Z

Zante

The last person to have worked on my property seems to have made a mess of things. The consumer unit was relocated, following his advice, to almost ceiling height which is against building regulations as I have only recently found out.

I need to have this fixed and am wondering what my options are. As thing stand, the unit is in the kitchen and I'm considering having it moved to a height which would allow it to fit in a cabinet underneath the kitchen work top. Is there anything to suggest this isn't allowed? The next kitchen unit along would be an electric stove with oven, does this present any safety risks?

Would I even be allowed to have it relocated to a position above the work top, ideally inside a hanging cabinet on the wall? How snug a fit does it have to be, space around the consumer unit itself etc?

Many thanks, I never realized what a minefield this stuff could be Neil recently. Always do you research first I guess!

I am pretty sure that build reg only if a new build you can have it high if you like, you can move it anywhere within 3 meters of meter (unless sub main) and can sit snug in cupboard just make sure has nice easy access

Having a cu at ceiling height is not againts building regs unless its a new build or a substancial refurb as far as i know.

Why not contact the electrician who moved it and voice your concerns to them, if they have made a mistake they should correct it free of charge, if not contact their scheme provider.

Tim

Did you agree to the position of the CU? It's not against Building Regs as stated above. I cannot see what the electrician has done wrong then. What complaint will be made to the sceme provider or indeed the original spark?

I have seen many a CU at ceiling height.

When you "mess", what else do you mean?

Yes, I did but I do wish I had been informed. I realise the onus is on me to do these sorts of checks but unless there's some degree of intellectual honesty on the part of the electrician, the odds are against me. : [

To my shame, this is actually a new build property. I'm seeking to have it remedied, if anything I've said regarding the proposed changes seems to ring alarm bells please let me know and many thanks for your replies, I should have come here first as you people are on the ball. : ]

Hi

even so, if it is a new build, it is still not necessarily against building regulations. There are still several reasons that are valid as to why it could be placed higher than the doggedly adhered to "450-1200mm".

one for example is flood risk

You could look at the electrical safety advise here
1. New or rewired domestic and similar installations : Electrical Safety Council

You may note that there is no regulation hight,there is good practice and industry guidance only

Q
Are there any particular requirements relating to the mounting height or location of consumer units for electrical installations in new dwellings?

Ans
The provision of access to consumer units is not specifically covered by Building Regulations or BS 7671. However, consumer units need to be so located as to enable reasonable access by the users, including for the purpose of testing the RCDs at regular intervals, and in case of emergency.
BSI Draft for development DD 266: 2007 – Design of accessible housing: Lifetime homes – Code of practice, explains how, by following the principles of inclusive design, general needs housing can be made sufficiently flexible and convenient to meet the existing and changing needs of most households, and so give disabled and older people more choice over where they live.
Amongst other things, the code of practice recommends that meters and consumer units should be mounted 1200 mm to 1400 mm from the floor so that the readings and switches can be viewed by a person standing or sitting, and should be positioned to be accessible.
Regulation number(s)

i'd rather see a CU mounted up to the ceiling rather than within reach of children who will easily flip out those silly lid mounted blanks and grope inside with their sticky little fingers.

Crazy world, sockets at certain heights, CU where you like. Poor disabled person tries to reset RCD and? oh they can't and then we moan that the RCD button is not tested quarterly .......hmmm

I put it down to odds, now with me I would have more chance of my four kids putting their fingers where they should not than my disabled granddad sitting in the dark, thought thats what walking sticks are for

I put it down to odds, now with me I would have more chance of my four kids putting their fingers where they should not than my disabled granddad sitting in the dark, thought thats what walking sticks are for
That really rings bells with me, my aunt has her CU in a kitchen cabinet behind a pull out drawer. almost totally inaccessible and uses her walking stick to reset the breakers!

there's an estate near me, built in the 90's. CUs are all mounted drirctly above the downstairs bog at ceiling height. you can't get steps in. only way is to stand on the bog itself.

Reply to Relocating a consumer unit - Regulations advice needed :) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net