Discuss Remove Gas Hob Add Electric Hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Team,

In this current climate of gas prices going through the roof, I want to change the Gas Hob to Electric.

Gas hob needs capping off

I have an electric oven in an other area of the kitchen, Can I Parallel the Hob and Over together
The Oven, is, one main oven, and a top oven used for grilling.. ???

Or do I need to put in a new feed, if so what Power rating cable, it will be 8mtrs long,
The hob will be 5 burner 8600 Watts.

Thanks in advance from Alan

usually, both can be fed off a 32A circuit: 6mm cable. what's the rating of the oven, and is it plug in or hard wired?

You'd have to do the calculations and the distances from the cooker isolator probably as well

I uusally take them all as one when it comes to rising prices

Coal , oil, electricity , gas

When one goes up they all go up so I wouldn't be in a hurry switching myself anyhow in these circumstances

if it's alreadyon a 32A MCB, feeding a cooker switchthen an outlet, should be fine to add hob.

usually, both can be fed off a 32A circuit: 6mm cable. what's the rating of the oven, and is it plug in or hard wired?
Right found some info, its is an eight year old Hotpoint Twin Oven, compared to other of that type 5kw is given, sorry it was in the house when we brought it...
it is on a 32amp Circuit Breaker.
From the Consumer unit to the oven is 4meters, and the Hob 4meters from Oven.

Best I can do for information

All the best from Alan

You'd have to do the calculations and the distances from the cooker isolator probably as well

I uusally take them all as one when it comes to rising prices

Coal , oil, electricity , gas

When one goes up they all go up so I wouldn't be in a hurry switching myself anyhow in these circumstances
Good Evening Mikegh,

I understand what you are saying, you missed out one further point, what the good lady is asking for, over rides everything else.... :)

But thank you for your thoughts

All the best from Alan

Yeah my hob and oven are linked together, works fine.

Would just say though, gas price per kwh is miles cheaper than electric, and also heats up pans miles quicker. It's much cheaper to use gas for cooking.
According to Which? Magazine, gas is four times cheaper per kWh than electricity.

From a user perspective... IMHO... Gas is by far the best, followed by Induction... everything else is pants.

From a cost perspective... Gas is considerably cheaper than electricity... so no idea why the OP thinks otherwise. Even with all energy sources going up massively in price, I cannot see a scenario where gas is going to be more expensive than electricity... they'll be riots on the streets if that ever happens !!

so, in the same manner, it would be unwise for me to replace our gas lighting with electric. does same apply to our paraffin heating appliances?

so, in the same manner, it would be unwise for me to replace our gas lighting with electric. does same apply to our paraffin heating appliances?
Reminds me of the paraffin fueled fridge we had many years ago. Bet there's not many of you that have had one of them.
Re gas/electric hob. Both hobs in my own house are gas (LPG) fuelled, and the ones in the holiday cottages are all electric. If it wasn't for the rental testing requirements, they'd all be LPG.

only ever once had a chip pan on fire. that was on gas. if it had been a leccy hob. the meter credit would have run out before the fire started.

only ever once had a chip pan on fire. that was on gas. if it had been a leccy hob. the meter credit would have run out before the fire started.
I've only had 1 oil fire too... very scary ! That was on a new induction hob as I didn't realise how quickly it heated the pan... only realised that something was wrong when I wondered why there's a bright yellow light coming from the kitchen !! Still finding black soot in strange places...

Reply to Remove Gas Hob Add Electric Hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net