Discuss Rep. of Ireland Qualifications in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Ausi2k8

Heyy all,

Ive worked in the UK before but since being let go and back home Ive being looking into finding work in the UK again.
Ive sent a few emails to people about my qulaifications but none have responded.
I know that a british sparky dosnt need to re-sit any exams wonce there qualified in Ireland

1. My apprentiship was city and guilds based like yourselves do I need to do the 16th and 17th editions.
2. I have a Safe Pass as far as I know Its european accepted do I need a safety passport
3. I have a PTS card from working in Irish Rail do I need the british equilivent.

If anyone knows if there is someone I could ring or if they know themselves and could tell me It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ....

Hello mate,

Got laid off in January, was working with a lot of Irish guys some of which were laid off not long after. Its a bit of a grey area the crossover with your tickets. I know for a fact that the Irish lads had nothing like the safety requirements for the site I was on (Blue book), they had never heard of the CCNSG (safety passport) or the JIB but had been on this site for months (so much for the NAECI!)
Some of the lads had a great working background and had spent time in Norway, Sweeden, etc. on large well paid jobs so that might be an avenue to explore mate.
BTW, they are still looking for work like many of us are. If I hear of anything I'll let you know, I shall be speaking with my old foreman soon.
Good luck mate

Wilber.

Contact JIB, they will take copies of all your qualifications and tell you what you need to do. I too went through the Irish system and then done the AM2, got 16th edition and 2391 and still can't get an approved card. But with their help maybe I can organise something.

Hello mate,
BTW, they are still looking for work like many of us are. If I hear of anything I'll let you know, I shall be speaking with my old foreman soon.
Good luck mate

Wilber.

Cheers please do.

I think the safety passport and the safe pass I have are pretty much the same thing I think Its a european standard.

The last site I got on was a blue book site had no problem with my qualifacations but the company I was working for was part owned and run by the irish so I guess they new the sus.

Nobody seems to know exactly the restricitions . A trade is suppost to be a Internationaly recognised standard .

Contact JIB, they will take copies of all your qualifications and tell you what you need to do. I too went through the Irish system and then done the AM2, got 16th edition and 2391 and still can't get an approved card. But with their help maybe I can organise something.

Yea I sent them an e-mail and they never replied . Ill try giving them a buzz see how long they put me on hold for ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers please do.

I think the safety passport and the safe pass I have are pretty much the same thing I think Its a european standard.

The last site I got on was a blue book site had no problem with my qualifacations but the company I was working for was part owned and run by the irish so I guess they new the sus.

Nobody seems to know exactly the restricitions . A trade is suppost to be a Internationaly recognised standard .

A trade is not an internationally recognised standard. In some cases the qualifing body is, but the actual trade differs wildly from country to country.

A trade is not an internationally recognised standard. In some cases the qualifing body is, but the actual trade differs wildly from country to country.

Well I know America is totally different But ours is based on the City and guilds and are standards are of european safety legislation as far as I know aswell our 3 phases in college cover an awfull lot more technical bull**** then yours aswell, I was comparing the phases before with a few of the lads from the north not to say its any better or worse because there still very similar just I think we go into PLC`s and motors alot more ..
The barrier is a few simple exams that seem to take forever to get and organise nobody seems to be able to tell me exactly what and if I need them..

I worked on railways for years and again ours is a smaller copied version of yours that your engineers designed and still do.. Our whole upgrades were designed by mostly british engineers but yet nobody can tell me if my PTS card is valid on your tracks (people just arnt sure)

I think you may be maistaking me for someone else. I am Irish, born and bred and live in Donegal.

I was comparing the standards between the two countries its pretty much the same.. The JIB is accepted down south I dont see why theres a difference when were in the UK with the FAS card.

I could answer that, but you wouldn't like it.

Emmm please do
There`s 4 jobs on the fas website at the moment for apprentices none for sparks..
1 on jobs.ie but its for a maintance job they just want you with a trade..
none on constructionjobs.ie

There really is nothing left for trades in this country so ive no other option the last place I worked was in wales 8 months ago so im getting prety desperate now id work at anything theres just no work here and there wont be for a long time.

Ok, here goes.
Fas is crap, for many years they allowed apprentices throught the city and guilds system that shouldn't be allowed on site let alone play with wires. The net result is that Irish electricians are not highly regarded across the water, Add this to the fact that Engerland is also having money problems and its no wonder that the powers that be are looking after their own, Fair play to them for doing so. I wish us Irishers had the same attitude. My own philosiphy goes along the lines that if I want to work over there then I'll have to get what they want, no point in complaining about how they won't accept what I've got, thankfully I am well down the road of achieving all the necessary qualifications.
But these are just my opinions.

Reply to Rep. of Ireland Qualifications in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net