Discuss Responsibility regarding work in bathrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, general question regarding how far you would deem your responsibility regarding works in a bathroom.

Works undertaken would be shower install(new). It would be RCD protected. Bonding would be checked and installed if needed.
Now in regards to other circuits within that location, ie lighting. These would not be touched altered or in anyway adjusted. They are existing and are not RCD protected.
I don't think responsibility for works undertaken or to be certified covers circuits i haven't altered yet i have been told recently, despite (imo) lots of overriding factors such as zoning or double insulated fitting and the fact ive carried out no work on them i should be RCD protecting these circuits (or supp bonding).
Before anyone says why not just do it, i work for a company, scope of work can only extend so far an we don't carry out full board changes as a standard.
Ive hunted the regs high and low and there is nothing in there regarding how far responsibility goes or even how to go about working this out. As ever, all open to interpretation.
Any feed back would appreciated.

You are correct. However there is a box on the electrical installation certificate that asks for comments on existing installation. You can mention your observations regarding parts of the installation that you have not directly affected that do not meet current requirements.

The bonding issue is very relevant.

So I think the spark who has said this has a point.

the earthing of the new circuits needs to be cross bonded with the lighting circuits or if they aren’t then they need RCD protection.

in any other room this would not be an issue. But in a room containing a bath or shower you need it all cross bonded or all RCD protected.

on a bathroom refirb I would insist on one or the other.

Akways
You are correct. However there is a box on the electrical installation certificate that asks for comments on existing installation. You can mention your observations regarding parts of the installation that you have not directly affected that do not meet current requirements.
Always noted on cert as occurs alot as deal with alot of non RCD boards.

If the shower is a new circuit and the other circuits don't have RCD protection then I presume you are adding a RCBO for the shower. If the lights in the bathroom also need to be RCD protected then just change the breaker for a RCBO.

The bonding issue is very relevant.

So I think the spark who has said this has a point.

the earthing of the new circuits needs to be cross bonded with the lighting circuits or if they aren’t then they need RCD protection.

in any other room this would not be an issue. But in a room containing a bath or shower you need it all cross bonded or all RCD protected.

on a bathroom refirb I would insist on one or the other.

If the shower is a new circuit and the other circuits don't have RCD protection then I presume you are adding a RCBO for the shower. If the lights in the bathroom also need to be RCD protected then just change the breaker for a RCBO.
I know its that simple but my questions is where does responsibility stop?technically every light in the house should be on an RCD, Im not going to do that though so other than a special location what is the difference?

I know its that simple but my questions is where does responsibility stop?technically every light in the house should be on an RCD, Im not going to do that though so other than a special location what is the difference?
Your responsibility stops when any alterations you make are brought up to current regs.

in this case the bathroom is being altered , so in my opinion the bathroom needs to be brought up to current regs.

I get the argument for not doing the lights, but with this being a special location and it’s the most potentially dangerous room in the house under fault conditions fully bonding or fully RCD protecting is the only option.

Reply to Responsibility regarding work in bathrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net