Discuss Returning to work after years away, some questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Predator

Hello all, I qualified as an electrircian about 10 years ago passing all parts of C+G 2360 and 16th IEE, however for the last 5 years (or abouts) I've not worked as an electrician.

I want to change that now but I am unsure about some things, I've tried to 'google it' myself but cannot find clear answers, I did find this forum though so thought I'd ask. I'd be very happy if could have these questions answered.

1. 17th Edition - Since it was 16th when I qualified, do I need go back to college to update my qualifications to work as an electrician or is knowledge of the changes simply enough? Is my 2360 still valid or does this need some sort of update?

2. Domestic work - If I've googled this right I now need this 'Part P' - Is this correct and how much time and money is this going to cost me? I've mainly worked on Industial sites in the past but like to keep my options open.

3. Relating to question 2, I need be NICEIC registered for domestic work only?

4. Assuming I get all the above done, where needed, is there anything else I'm missing?

Thankyou for any help.

1. I'd advise the long version of 2382 (I think the code is 2382-100) as there are big differences between the 16th and the 17th, especially in the domestic sphere. Having a read of the BGB beforehand (its arranged a bit differently to the 16th edition book also) will make your life easier.
Try to avoid the "we did it this way under the 16th" thinking, focus on the 17th, reference to the BGB during the exam and it shouldn't be overly onerous to pass.

2. If in England/Wales and doing notifiable work then yes you need to either be a member of a self cert scheme or go through LABC

3. Part P as far as I know only applies to domestic works (I live in Scotland so not affected), though there are other options - Elecsa, NAPIT, STROMA etc

4 2394/2395 (which superseded 2391 I think, though could be talking merde here) could be worth doing.

From your post you want to operate in the domestic sector and being Part P in England or Wales will be an asset.

Best way forward is to contact the "schemes"" namely Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC or Stroma and discuss it with them......

1. I'd advise the long version of 2382 (I think the code is 2382-100) as there are big differences between the 16th and the 17th, especially in the domestic sphere. Having a read of the BGB beforehand (its arranged a bit differently to the 16th edition book also) will make your life easier.
Try to avoid the "we did it this way under the 16th" thinking, focus on the 17th, reference to the BGB during the exam and it shouldn't be overly onerous to pass.

2. If in England/Wales and doing notifiable work then yes you need to either be a member of a self cert scheme or go through LABC

3. Part P as far as I know only applies to domestic works (I live in Scotland so not affected), though there are other options - Elecsa, NAPIT, STROMA etc

4 2394/2395 (which superseded 2391 I think, though could be talking merde here) could be worth doing.
do you now?...hmm lets see....er..i think not.

caus firstly scam membership is an option....

and secondly its the property owners responsibility to inform the LABC...not the electricians...

do you now?...hmm lets see....er..i think not.

caus firstly scam membership is an option....

and secondly its the property owners responsibility to inform the LABC...not the electricians...

And Electricians performing notifiable work on peoples homes and not telling them about Part P is fraud.

Nothing.

Simply what you are advocating is somewhat dishonest and would put you in the class of a dodgy back street 2nd hand car dealer.
is it?

as you have just answered `nothing` (see above) to my post then surely that would imply i was telling it real....

or perhaps i sell cars for a living....

what you think?

is it?

as you have just answered `nothing` (see above) to my post then surely that would imply i was telling it real....

or perhaps i sell cars for a living....

what you think?

We ALL know the rules applying to England and Wales.....

So stop being a dxck and accept that Part P is here to stay.

So for people who do domestic, notifiable work on a regular basis, membership of a scheme makes perfect sense. Round my way its ÂŁ335 per home extension for the "electrical" inspection, so ÂŁ448.00 plus ÂŁ1.80 per job is a snip......

Also, Elecsa had plans to introduce the "mandatory" insurance with every notifiable job.

I was asked my opinion about this when I had my assessment and I told my assessor in no uncertain terms that I felt it was like PPI "mis-selling" and thus no such policy can be "mandatory". I stated that I would NOT be telling my clients in any way.

I thought it was due to go live in October '13 but its all gone VERY quiet.

And Electricians performing notifiable work on peoples homes and not telling them about Part P is fraud.

Is it?

It's the householder's responsibility, they should know.
All you could possibly be nailed with, is not informing the customer of their responsibilities.
I don't think that counts as fraud.

Is it?

It's the householder's responsibility, they should know.
All you could possibly be nailed with, is not informing the customer of their responsibilities.
I don't think that counts as fraud.

I disagree, you are employed for your skill and knowledge.... so not making sure the client is aware of Part P is IMHO dishonest.

Does it matter if it gets notified or not, I have yet to hear of one person being prosecuted for not notifying, either spark or homeowner.

Does it matter if it gets notified or not, I have yet to hear of one person being prosecuted for not notifying, either spark or homeowner.
Well..... round my way all the Solicitors are very hot on looking for recent work which involved planning permission and/or building control then asking for all the paperwork, Part P included - and I get work to do EICR's so every cloud has a silver, if not gold lining

I disagree, you are employed for your skill and knowledge.... so not making sure the client is aware of Part P is IMHO dishonest.

And when you do...
"Not interested, get on with it"
I know my work is near 100% good enough, if they don't care, neither do I.
I and my (very occasional domestic) customer aren't paying The Council or some scheme a load of cash for, for what is basically, SOD ALL!

Reply to Returning to work after years away, some questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net