Discuss Revision for 17th Edition exam in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am currently studying an electrician course during the weekends over a period of 15 weeks. In 6 weeks time I have my 17th edition exam, I have the book and am wondering what is the best and most effective way to revise for this exam. I have been told that being able to navigate the book quickly and efficiently is the most important thing in this exam, is this true?

So basically any tips on how to revise would be much apprieciated, thanks!

1.get to know what is covered in each section.

2. go through the questions without opening the regs. book.

3. answer any that you can without looking up, flag any you don't know straight off.

4.go through the flagged questions using the appropriate section of the regs.

5. any difficult ones, leave till last.

I found this quiz very helpful....
17th Edition Exam Simulator | -----------.co.uk - http://www.-----------.co.uk/17thedition/17th-edition-exam-simulator.php

Also read the tips to passing here...
Tips and tricks for the 17th Edition (C&G 2382) exam | -----------.co.uk - http://www.-----------.co.uk/Tips_and_tricks_for_%20the_17th_Edition_(C&G_2382)_exam.html

Another online questions..
17th Edition Bs 7671 Quiz - https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=17th-edition-2382-online-exam-simulator

Lastly,and this really helped me, is the amount of questions per chapter in the book.
They are as follows.

Part 1. 4 questions
Part 2. 2 questions
Part 3. 6 questions
Part 4. 15 questions
Part 5. 14 questions
Part 6. 4 questions
Part 7. 10 questions
Appendices. 5 questions.

So the first 4 questions will refer solely in Part 1 of the book.The next 2 questions will be in Part 2 of the book.

So if your on question 30 you would be in Part 5 of the book.
This really helps finding what your looking for as it's no use looking in Part 6 for the answer to question 2 as it will be in Part 1.

Hope this helps.

I got 98% so i must have done something right!

Edit.Another tip.When you find the answers to the online quiz highlight them with a yellow highlighter pen and then it stands out when looking in the real exam.

I found this quiz very helpful....
Lastly,and this really helped me, is the amount of questions per chapter in the book.
They are as follows.

Part 1. 4 questions
Part 2. 2 questions
Part 3. 6 questions
Part 4. 15 questions
Part 5. 14 questions
Part 6. 4 questions
Part 7. 10 questions
Appendices. 5 questions.

So the first 4 questions will refer solely in Part 1 of the book.The next 2 questions will be in Part 2 of the book.

So if your on question 30 you would be in Part 5 of the book.
This really helps finding what your looking for as it's no use looking in Part 6 for the answer to question 2 as it will be in Part 1.

I did mine last year, and for me this was by far the biggest help. I was allowed to take a note into the exam that stated this information and it narrows the book down enormously.

I got 58/60 which works out at 96.67% by the way, so not quite your 98 which must have been 59!

I am currently studying an electrician course during the weekends over a period of 15 weeks. In 6 weeks time I have my 17th edition exam, I have the book and am wondering what is the best and most effective way to revise for this exam. I have been told that being able to navigate the book quickly and efficiently is the most important thing in this exam, is this true?

So basically any tips on how to revise would be much apprieciated, thanks!
I passed with 87% thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

well i onlygot 93%, but i was 65 when i did it, so i blame dementia and lack of ale for the lost 7%.

I did my 17th edition exam early this year and it's not that difficult, but it's very fast-paced by design.

What they are looking for is your ability to use BS7671 efficiently in order to find information that you don't know. They don't expect you to know everything, they want to see that you can find answers in a reasonable amount of time on a variety of topics.

To be honest, you don't even need any electrical knowledge to pass this exam (my college actually tested this theory by putting one of their reception staff through the exam with no knowledge and a few hours training - they passed!). However, a good knowledge of the regulations will help save time looking-up each answer but it's not actually necessary.

My Advice:
Don't try and memorise everything. Get familiar with the books contents and the index. Also, get used to the books numbering system as you'll find that regulations under 'special locations' share mostly the same number as the normal equivilant regulations which can help you save time. Also a big help is memorising the page number containing abbreviations and definitions, for example:- What's the difference between Zs & Ze? You can find it very quickly this way and should do well.

Having the sticky labels on each chapter makes it easier to navigate.
Completely agree with spinlondon! The examiners are ok with sticky-labels. I didn't actually use this method myself, however plenty of students did the same and the assessors didn't mind.

I'm not absolutely certain on the specific rules regarding sticky-labels in exams, but my college tutor advised that we write only brief notes on them and don't include any information other than what is written on that page.

Sticky-Labels, Good Examples:
- A sticky label attached to page 23 of BS7671 says "Definitions" which is also the heading of the page for quick and easy reference.
- A stickly label attached to page 58 of BS7671 says "Max Zs MCB" which is a shortened-version of the title for table 41.3 for quick and easy reference.

In all honesty, the examiners never actually checked anyone during my exams and I had many hand-written notes in my book to explain things simply, which where also never checked.

Reply to Revision for 17th Edition exam in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net