Search the forum,

Discuss Rewiring house in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy B

I`m a qualified sparky and I`m re-wiring a house. I tend to do corporate work and haven`t done many house re-wires so I have some simple (stupid) questions.

Is there any particular way the cables should be run ie should you try and keep them all fairly close or can you have cable running off through joists in all directions. Obviously they are going to be hidden once its plastered.

I have been told about "zoning" by another electrician who claimed that the cable should only be run in the wall vertically and horizontally from sockets and switches but cant find anything about it in the regs and had never heard of it before. Does this mean I cant go around a corner onto a wall with no socket to pick up a socket on the opposite wall but instead have to run down and through the joists?

With regards to the installation being registered for part p is it possible to test it all and supply the test certs to the council and pay them to inspect it (how much does this cost?) or will I have to pay a registered electrician to test and certify it?

Cheers

Andy.

I`m a qualified sparky and I`m re-wiring a house. I tend to do corporate work and haven`t done many house re-wires so I have some simple (stupid) questions.

Is there any particular way the cables should be run ie should you try and keep them all fairly close or can you have cable running off through joists in all directions. Obviously they are going to be hidden once its plastered.

You'll have drilled holes in the joists as per the OSG, you can clip cables to the joists in any direction you like.... just up to you how neat you want to make the job.

I have been told about "zoning" by another electrician who claimed that the cable should only be run in the wall vertically and horizontally from sockets and switches but cant find anything about it in the regs and had never heard of it before.

And you are fully qualified? The use of rcd's do not exclude the use of safe zones......150mm verticaly from internal corners & same between wall & ceiling (thats 150mm down the wall traveling horizontaly with cables) & as per your mates instructions

Does this mean I cant go around a corner onto a wall with no socket to pick up a socket on the opposite wall

Not ideal but you could argue the use of rcd.

but instead have to run down and through the joists?

The better option.

With regards to the installation being registered for part p is it possible to test it all and supply the test certs to the council

Call them & ask, some are ok with this but others are against it.

and pay them to inspect it

Notify the work to LBC prior to you starting & pay the fee, they are then obliged to inspect at first fix & again at end of 2nd fix plus they have to test inspect & certify.

(how much does this cost?)

Call LBC & find out

or will I have to pay a registered electrician to test and certify it?

You'll be hard pushed to find a part P registered spark to sign off work he/she hasn't installed, but you might be lucky........I always turn down such offers as it's my name on the cert being responsible for work of those that dont know safe zones of cabling.

Cheers

Andy.
See my replies in red

Thanks for your help.
I`m going to buy a copy of the on site guide tomorrow, I just found a diagram of safe zones, it seems pretty straight forward really.

Thanks for your help.
I`m going to buy a copy of the on site guide tomorrow, I just found a diagram of safe zones, it seems pretty straight forward really.

I'd get Electricians guide to the build regs too.:D

If something is not in the one its usually in the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Rewiring house in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net