Discuss roller shutter bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cambria

I've never come acroos this but I have just been reading that metal roller shutters which are connected to a motor should have main bonding as it is classed as an extraneous conductive part. Anyone seen this done ?

I would normally have agreed with you but it was an answer on the Voltimum Q&A site that suggested if the motor is not isolated from the shutter it should be bonded

Well I suppose that each installation must be judged on its own.
If the roller shutter is installed in such a way that it could become live then it should be bonded.
Otherwise I still say there is no need, the motor would be earthed anyway.

Hi all,

If the manufactures fitting instructions states the roller doors needs to be bonded then to comply with the 17th edition should it not be bonded :confused:

Our local fire station roller door is bonded to the motor the frame & roof runners are anyway, the door itself cant be as each slat is insulated with a rubber beading.
Noticed it today while putting in some cat5

if you wanted to bond it you could just do it to one of the angles or plates as its all metal. but ive never seen or done this in 5 years of fitting them

and if a Ford Transit becomes wedged in the door ( as they often do) bond that as well!

The shutters are connected to a steal shaft ,which in turn would be connected to the motors thus earthed throught the supply , the guides (not in the girl type ) would basically not cause a potential as there is no direct contact but loosly fits so any bonding may not nesseseraly work so id say it doesnt need bonding unless stated in the manufacturers installation instructions

Reply to roller shutter bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net