Discuss Roof ladders in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomB

Hi all,

Just looking at buying a couple of roof ladders to install PV from.

I've measured our vehicle length and we're limited to a closed length of around 3.50m; a quick look around t'Interweb and a 3.5m one would extend to around 5.6m - I'm hoping that's long enough..?

Has anyone any thoughts on minimum lengths, single-section v's double-section or useful functionality etc?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

We bought this

Sectional ladder that can we can get in the van. We are also going to buy a couple of further add on's to cater for the extra long roof's.

Midland ladders also provided a service second to none. Ordered online and was delivered in two days. Certainly can recommend.

Thanks very much - The fact that you can buy extensions looks good. & just saw the Accessories section there too which converts any ladder into a roof ladder. Hm.

Cheers

We do have a ridge ladder accessory add on but its a hassle to put it on and off it also means you don't have stand off bars all the way down the ladder so it's closer to the roof meaning your feet can't go all the way through the rung. Working off this all day would make your feet ache as your be working off your toes all day. The converter is handy as a second ladder for access over a Velux window for example but I wouldn't want to work off it all day. I looked about before going for what we got and for the money I'm very happy.

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd ask the question as to whether you're still happy with your roof ladders?

I used to contract out the roof work but it's proved to difficult so am now keeping the work in-house.

I've got a roof which is about 7M deep, the van isn't that big so, so this solutions looks good for me!

Have you found any other equipment particularly useful for roof work?

Thanks

The ladders MarkC suggested have been excellent; our roofer even asked where I got them. I bought two ladders - they all plug togethor to form one g'normous ladder which has been useful too.

We're also doing more and more roof stuff in-house and have found a flat pry-bar to be really useful. And a bricky's line. And a 115mm grinder (altho wishing now I'd bought a bigger one). Oh, and I use my kid's pavement play-chalk to mark it all out, I can highly recommend the Princess Pink!

One thing I am looking for is a means of getting that first panel on dead-straight. Wondering if anyone has used tripod and levelling laser or if everyone goes by eye..?

I use a 3m long straight edge, proper aluminium one, and line up using that, and adjust it the panels as we move along - lot is rack of eye.

Thanks Dansk. Thinking I'd best go and start another thread - I'm on the verge of hijacking this one (if you can hijack your own thread?!)

Not a bad ladder, I looked into the one from the esi-dec crowd, and was blown away when he said £1300+VAT!!!

Definately a ladder Ill be looking at soon, with a few simple modifications........4 roller blade wheels on the roof hook for starters..........

Reply to Roof ladders in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net