Discuss round-pin socket help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fixit4u

any advice please,i am currently testing a building where a 13a socket gave a reading well above the other sockets in the same room,when i turned of the breaker to investigate further the power was still present untill the lighting was turned off.upon further investigation i found out in the adjacent room the same socket was a round-pin 5a socket on the lighting so looks like in this first room the round pin socket has been replaced with a 13a socket resulting in my high reading !
what is the best way forward now with this socket ? i have still seen round pin sockets for sale so am i ok to replace the socket with a round pin one ? just not sure now about the use of round pin sockets durng periodic testing and the replacement of ?
many thanks.:confused:

It must have been wired for a lighting socket,table lamps plug into them,someone must have replaced it with a stadard 13a socket outlet,i would replace to how it was originally intended,3 pin round still in use as i have installed 4 on a re-wire recently

Who bodged the 13A socket in there in the first place?
If you replace it for a 5A one will the same person come along and change it back again as soon as you've left?

:eek: thanks for your reply,what would the implication be if this would not have been found and left as a 13a socket ? and used as normal ?

Who bodged the 13A socket in there in the first place?
If you replace it for a 5A one will the same person come along and change it back again as soon as you've left?
the owner says she has no idea and seems genuine but she has only ben there for few years,this was only the second room many more left so hope this has not been repeated again,many thanks for your reply.

At the end of the day you plug a 2Kw fan heater in and it will blow a fuse or trip an mcb, unless they have put a 40A on the lighting circuit!!!!

I would swap it back to round pin or blank it off completaly!

Reply to round-pin socket help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net