Discuss Running sockets and lights outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

johnd1881

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a question and I'm not sure if anyone can help?

I have recently built a gazebo and as part of the built I required sockets and lighting.

As with these sorts of things the gazebo was no where near the main board. So firstly I already had an outside socket IP66 (not a spur). What the electrician has done is fitted an IP66 fuse switched spur to this IP66 socket and run a 2.5 3core swa cable from the existing IP66 socket to the gazebo. He has then daisy changed this cable to 3 X IP66 sockets and then to another fused switch spur and finally to a IP66 light switch. Here the the 4 X 6w led lights go into the the IP66 light switch. He has informed me since it's on a fused switch spur I can have as many sockets as I want but I can't exceed 13a load.

He has alot of experience and seems to know what he's doing but I just have this niggling worry in the back of my mind.

What does everyone think?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello, assume the fused spur to lights has a 3A fuse fitted. Sockets on a 13A fused spur and supplying circuit has 30mA RCD fitted. Do you have a test certificate for this work? Out of interest what’s the total length of cable used.
Thanks

Hello, assume the fused spur to lights has a 3A fuse fitted. Sockets on a 13A fused spur and supplying circuit has 30mA RCD fitted. Do you have a test certificate for this work? Out of interest what’s the total length of cable used.
Thanks
Hi, thanks for the reply. I believe the RCD is on the board? The board was replaced a few years back. I haven't had the cert yet as the light switch was faulty so he needs to come back. With regards length of the amoured cable, it's around 25m

Thanks

Reply to Running sockets and lights outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net