Discuss safe zone ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BD10NER

hi all

sparky is coming to nephews shower at weekend, thing i need to know is, can a hole be punched straight through the wall behind shower unit and out thew other side so that the switch is ouitside bathroom, so basically the wire will only be a few inches long ?, reason ask is i'm doing chasings in a while then putting p'board up so don't want to chase out if i don't need to ?

I'd check with the sparky if I were you.... He's the one in control of the design etc.

Thats assuming you are getting a sparky in that is!!!!!!!!!1

can't see a problem with that. a bit of pvc tube through the wall will protect the cable, but not essential.

hi all

sparky is coming to nephews shower at weekend, thing i need to know is, can a hole be punched straight through the wall behind shower unit and out thew other side so that the switch is ouitside bathroom, so basically the wire will only be a few inches long ?, reason ask is i'm doing chasings in a while then putting p'board up so don't want to chase out if i don't need to ?

Why dont you give your sparky a call to see if he is happy with it?

Ever since this saga started the questions you have posted lead me, and no doubt others, to think that you are doing this job and have no intention of employing an electrician. If this is the case, firstly I applaud your enthusiasm for the task but I really think you need to take the advice of several of the guys on here.
I'm sure the sparky you're talking about in your OP will not mind you ringing him to ask how he would prefer the cable to be ran in and what holes he would like where, I know I wouldn't object.
If I'm wrong I apologise unreservedly but please remember electricity can and does kill

Trev i can assure you i no intention of doing this myself, i'm basically refurbishing my nephews bathroom after knocking a wall
down, yes i'm putting new bath with wider end for shower use, i was going to do job but after advise off here from people off here
i have told my nephew he needs a sparky, me reasons for question above is because i want to get on with what i can do, rather
than wait till weekend for sparky, i want to get the chasing done for the shower so i can put the p'board on ,then tiles, then the
shower unit ready to be wired by a sparky, is there any ruling that sdays i cannot put the unit on the wall ??????????, it will
save me chasing up wall and waiting if the sparky can drill right through the wall...thats my reason and only reason and yes it is a saga.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a hassle at all, I have no objection to giving advice to anyone. I was merely at a loss to understand why you thought it better to ask the forum rather than ringing the electrician you have engaged to carry out the work that you're not doing. As requested though I shall keep my nose out.

I have nothing to do with sparky, my nephew said he has got someone coming so i'm takling back seat and just doing whatever i can
if he hasn't got anyone to come then he wont be getting a shower, i'm very greatful for all advise because i have learnt a fair bit to be honest, i didn't realise there were so many bloody rules..in this 17 edition or whatever it is called..lol

Reply to safe zone ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net