Discuss scam questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Robert Turnbull

I get the idea behind joint a scam for part p requirements.

But what about commercial work?

What's the point of been scammed for a commercial job?

Reasoning as I'm just starting out on my own and was going to join one of them in the new year ( still working out who best to be scammed by lol)

But I have just been offered to price for a few commercial jobs, now as they aren't part p do I need even need to be member of one ??

Part p is only relvevent for domestic, If your only doing commercial then the only benifit is a lot of the bigger companies insist on NICEIC Etc.

Thats your call but for what is costs (Assuming your full time spark) Then the cost over the year come in at ÂŁ40 a month which aint the end of the world.

But what benefit to me is there from been NIC ? If someone asks for me to be NIC what advantage is it to them?

Also that means If i do a commercial job, i can test the job my self and issue a cert and thats fine.

But what benefit to me is there from been NIC ? If someone asks for me to be NIC what advantage is it to them?

Also that means If i do a commercial job, i can test the job my self and issue a cert and thats fine.

If you prospective clients require or request NICEIC then that is a benefit I would say

One of the problems with applying Part P to commercial installations that I can see, would be getting work assessed.
For instance, I've done work on railways both over and under ground.
Obtaining permission for someone to assess the work for registration would be a nightmare.

when an MPs offspring gets killed in a barn then part P.2 will cover commercial :ihih:

agricultural, surely. anyway, MP's offspring usually get laid in a barn, something to do with the horsey set. as long as they don't grip on exposed conductive parts, they should be OK.

I can see if your not getting work because people are asking for it. Then it's well worth it..

But why are they asking for it??

There is no legislation saying your required to join a scam.

I can see if your not getting work because people are asking for it. Then it's well worth it..

But why are they asking for it??

There is no legislation saying your required to join a scam.

It all amounts to health and safety.
What more could be done to prevent an accident.
The commercial customer can claim that he specified some one, who is assessed/competent for the works in involved. (They could do no more)
If they employ some one who is not NIC/ECA how could they know they are competent?

Hi guys, all new to this, just wondering as your on the topic of scams, what are the rules of signing off your own work if you're not a member. I'm going out on my own next year and I'm looking to join select/nic but not sure how to get jobs signed off until I get membership?

Speak to your LABC they will advise you with what to do as they differ in different areas, if you are in Scotland don't worry about it.

If you're qualified and are properly insured, should be no problem with commercial, unless stipulated.

Thanks I alway had in my head been Nic etc... Was the only way to operate. But I now realise part p is the only legal requirement that would make you join. The only other benefit is other companies may have it as a requirement to tender for their work.

Next question is are some scam providers just part p compliance. Like Nic domestic installer status?

And with the law change on part p what's the point of just joining for part p ???

Theres nothing wrong with the NICEIC approved scheme, the fact a annual inspection is carried out to ensure the contractor complies to working standards impresses industry as a whole and can be a benefit for finding work, I never look for work and I am on lists where tenders get sent to me due to my approved status, however who ever your with regarding building control notification is a total joke, especially now third parties are involved haha.

I can understand that mdj, and I think I been NIC carries some weight definitely, but is it only because know one knows any better? That's what I'm trying to assess.
My questioning at the moment really comes down to outlay of cash. If been NIC means work will come to me then it's well worth it, as I am just starting out on my own I'm just working out who I want to join and when it's worth while doing, and if paying the extra to be approved or do i just do it to cover notification purposes?

With the part p change I do I hold off for a bit and see how business goes, as i could operate without been a member if any scheme and saved some cash, in 6 months I might have ended up working back for someone else (hopefully not).

If I were starting out again,Part p can be forgotten, so unless there is going to be some sort of gravy train doing 3rd party inspections,it would be a waste of money
That would in my opinion rule out Elecsa, Napit and to a large extent the Eca.

This leaves my good friends, the most obnoxious of them all,the Niceic approved register

It almost certainly will open up all sorts of avenues in commercial and industrial installation for you as far as opportunity for tendering and Eicrs etc
Not because of any quality that the Niceic requires of its registered companies, but because of the utter ignorance of people who are in work generation positions

If you need them.it's best join them
If you don't ,follow my lead and enjoy coming on forums and trying to destroy the myth these clowns foster, and help the believers of such fantastic fairy tales to see the actual reality of their claims
icon10.png

Just a footnote
Again,I target the despicable organisation,the Niceic and its structure,not its individual membership,who will be a mix of the good the bad and the ugly, as is the makes up of the trade

Last edited:
I get the idea behind joint a scam for part p requirements.

But what about commercial work?

What's the point of been scammed
for a commercial job?

Reasoning as I'm just starting out on my own and was going to join one of them in the new year ( still working out who best to be scammed by lol)

But I have just been offered to price for a few commercial jobs, now as they aren't part p do I need even need to be member of one ??

oh, the irony!

Reply to scam questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net