Discuss Scheme membership required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum.

I know this has probably been done to death but I can’t find a tailored answer.

I’m looking to branch out my limited company, currently I only sub-contract but now I want to take on my own work. I have a couple of jobs lined up, ECIR’s and minor repairs for a property management company and a periodic inspection of a caravan park. I plan on only taking on non-notifiable work. Do I need to be a member of a scheme to test and inspect domestic/commercial premises?

Welcome to the forum!
Won't you be limiting yourself a bit by doing it this way though? You will have to knock back some jobs.

Most definitely, but I’m quite happy with the small jobs and inspections as I’ll still be sub contracting for some time yet. I’m wanting to start small, do a few jobs on the side of my sub contract work, build a client base then look to join a scheme at a later date to pick up the notifiable jobs.

No you don't need to be scheme registered. I'm operating like this at the moment and it suits me.

No you don't need to be scheme registered. I'm operating like this at the moment and it suits me.
Are you carrying out testing and inspection in domestic premises? I’m assuming then that you only need to be a member of a scheme if you are carrying out notifiable work? Are you just relying on liability insurance?

Requirements for testing and inspecting is for you to be competent. Having the right tickets is a way of being able to show you are. The liability insurance is to cover you in case something goes wrong following your inspection. Seen as professional advice being incorrect.

You don't need to be registered for the notifiable works either as all you need to do is notify building control and/or get it signed off by someone that can.

I've only just worked these bits out recently, as I've started looking at picking more work up on the side myself.

You just need "Professional Indemnity" (PI) insurance, the cost can vary, worth shopping around, make sure you know exactly what your liability is when talking to the insurance company, they will not know.

Are you carrying out testing and inspection in domestic premises? I’m assuming then that you only need to be a member of a scheme if you are carrying out notifiable work? Are you just relying on liability insurance?
No need for scheme membership for periodic inspections, although the scams are pushing it as it will be a cash cow for them.

As long as you have the correct liability and indemnity insurance you'll be fine.

I&T has gone downhill massively since the mandatory reports came in for the rental sector, people are stamping down prices to the point where it's becoming unviable to compete against them. All they do is a cheap report and cram in loads of expensive remedials to get the cash coming in. My normal rate for a 3 bed house in my area is £180, assuming no major additions, these companies are banging them out for £40...

Reply to Scheme membership required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net