Discuss Service head EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Question to Op did you find any other deviations when doing the EICR ?
If so do you want to share on here?
Apart from that there is no RCD protection on all circuits except one (kitchen ring). Circuit supplying bathroom (light, extractor, shaver socket) no rcd and no supplementary bonding present.
Client willing to upgrade consumer unit
Rest of the installation is fine with all visuals test result satisfactory.

So what about this one:

View attachment 83535

Apparently a new meter was fitted couple of months ago, and it seems the meter fitter taped up the earth block, rather than fit the insert/cover. The tape has now come off. The customer is sure that the cover was not missing before.

My guess is the part perhaps fell of during fuse removal, fell to the concrete floor below and cracked.

I'd say that once the service head is compromised compared to how it was originally installed, then it should be at least raised with the DNO so that they can decide whether the integrity as a whole is up to their standards - since it does belong to them. That way they do the risk assessment and take responsibility.

On an EICR you are ticking to say the service head is satisfactory (or not) after all - and without further investigation I'd not be 100% sure that there was no access to an actual live part in your case....

One I raised with the DNO just yesterday

Mind the Gap.jpg

where the shroud is coming away and although it's "only" the PEN stranded that is visible that may not be the case in the future - and I'd have no idea whether a long thin finger could reach other more dangerous parts.

Because the DNO equipment (service heads in particular) is usually kept at a distance from official training (at least at domestic level), it's sometimes hard to gain the experience or information necessary to do a proper risk assessment.

I'd happily do a course with the DNO that gave me some more insight - perhaps with the right to risk assess and pull fuses officially when needed (with temporary reseal to be checked by DNO staff if necessary) - and quicker access to resources when a problem occurs without having to wait in line on 105 with the householders who's kettle isn't working...

Because the DNO equipment (service heads in particular) is usually kept at a distance from official training (at least at domestic level), it's sometimes hard to gain the experience or information necessary to do a proper risk assessment.

I'd happily do a course with the DNO that gave me some more insight - perhaps with the right to risk assess and pull fuses officially when needed (with temporary reseal to be checked by DNO staff if necessary) - and quicker access to resources when a problem occurs without having to wait in line on 105 with the householders who's kettle isn't working...
If they trained and gave you their blessing then they'd be liable when something goes wrong, and when half your networks is so far past its service life its in many cases quite literally falling apart that's a big ask.

Much, much nicer for them and their shareholders to maintain the pretence that nobody ever touches it even though we all know its BS.

Never seen a non dno sparky wearing the official ppe for working on a cut out, ie rubber gauntlets, leather over gauntlets, full face visor, and non combustible clothing. Not saying dno empoyees always do.......

It is a no code. Not even an observation. Not an issue. No potential dangerous Situation. No need to contact DNO.

The point I was trying to make earlier was that I am concerned, but not about the cutout,

I am concerned and gobsmacked that anyone carrying out EICRs would not know this Was normal for a cutout. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

To me this highlights an Issue I have with that whole section(1.0) of the inspection schedule.

It is not the responsibility of the electrician, we have no right to work on it yet we are supposed to have the knowledge to diagnose faults and record them and are expected to report them to the DNO.

This is their equipment, they charge for its use and should be responsible for monitoring its condition, you know, maybe a cursory once over once a year whilst reading the meter. ?

The dozens of interactions I've had with DNO faults have all been billed to the customer for my time, is this right?

Now back to the OP, is it fair to expect an inspector to have in depth and historic knowledge of the many, many intake and metering configurations and devices and be able to competently assess their condition?

It's not straight forward as no sane spark is going to start work on an installation with a smouldering intake but an exposed terminal?, a cracked cover?, unsupported tails?

It would be an interesting test case if for every certificate we issued we invoiced the DNO an inspection fee.

Rant over.

Reply to Service head EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net