Discuss Short circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
HELLO
i had an short circuit in my house!neutral to live short circuit!
the 30a old mcb is tripped but the 1361 13a fuse in the plug did not disconected!
why did not disconnect 13a 1361 fuse sooner then 30a mcb?
I tested the fuse in the plug still good, so the short circuit did not reach to 13a!but why 30a mcb tripped ?
The fuseboard has not RCD old wylex fuseboard!
please can someone sort explain ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern circuit breakers are designed to trip faster than 13A fuses.
change the fuse as well as it is likely to have been weakened.

p.s. after you have found and fixed the short circuit.

The way multiple OCPD in series will react is a complex subject, especially here where the time/current curves for fuses and MCBs are quite different. Far from being less than 13A, the fault current was likely thousands of amps but cut short by the MCB before the fuse pre-arc limit had been reached. With a different value of Zs and hence fault current, the fuse might have opened first.

The different characteristics can be exploited e.g. for protecting a submain with a fuse having an In closer to that of the MCBs in the downstream DB than would be possible with an MCB upstream.

Out of interest, what was the cause of the short circuit?

Reply to Short circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock