Discuss should i or shouldnt i work for this customer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

You need to be very careful with this guy Dave, (but you probably don't need me to tell you that) Just because he's agreed to your Ts&Cs it doesn't mean he will stick to them

Good luck Dave,

I got knocked last year and T & C's are not really worth much more than the paper they are written on. You sound like an experienced guy, so use your radar
and give him the heave ho if your smell a rat!

If youve got other work walk away........

If not sort the interim payments as I do...

33.33% on exceptance of quote (And installing builders supply)
33.33% on completion of first fix and
final 33.33% on completion of all work.

This way I am allways ahead and could walk if things went pear shaped.

I do occasionally acept a small retention, but only a token amount.

Someone somewhere owes you 0.01% lol

Withholding certificates is pointless, he could just ask the council to come test it and pay their £300. Then he keeps your final 20%.
This "developer" has been watching TV and decided its easy to make a killing and he's going to do it. Most of the shows tell the people involved to use a retainer, as do advise web sites, that's probably were he got the idea.
They also advise paying builders the day rate some times depending on the job. No one's going to listen to a lowly electrician over a TV presenter, especially if they have huge ----, you know who I'm talking about!!!

Be wary. When you take your car in for a service you pay up and then take it away, if you don`t or can`t pay then you don`t get your car back. This is where the construction industry falls down. Trouble is so say "property developers" think they are doing tradesmen a favour all the time, but forget they can`t get the job done without us. Bugger the retention, he will only hope you forget about it anyway, try getting it back after a year, especially if he`s gone to the wall, its your money not his. Stick to your guns, he won`t do you any favours. If he really wants you to do the work then he will agree to your terms and conditions.

He already has agreed to his terms and conditions! And no company can keep your property if you don't pay your bill, not legally. A garage defiantly cannot hold your car for non payment! You just get them for loss of earnings because you couldn't get to work. People sadly do it all the time, at a garage, at the vets, "I can't pay, give me my dog/car back". Nothing you can do about it apart from a pointless legal battle. What a world!!!

My advice is much along the lines of everyone elses...walk away...even though you worked for hiom before and he paid, even though hes offering you a deposit...no...walk away.....infact...walk away from every job....just incase you get knocked a bit....or the customers an ---....or you cut a finger or break a sweat...no...best thing to do is walk away from everything....let the taxpayer worry about feeding your family.

Sorry guys but come the f**k on...
one minute evryones moaning about not having any work...
next minute people are lining up advising someone to walk away from a 6.5k job just because the client has a backbone...
You reap what you sow my freinds

It's not because the client has a backbone, it's because the client is trying to dictate terms to him. What's that phrase you've used before....Oh yes that's it "impose your will"

My advice is much along the lines of everyone elses...walk away...even though you worked for hiom before and he paid, even though hes offering you a deposit...no...walk away.....infact...walk away from every job....just incase you get knocked a bit....or the customers an ---....or you cut a finger or break a sweat...no...best thing to do is walk away from everything....let the taxpayer worry about feeding your family.

next minute people are lining up advising someone to walk away from a 6.5k job just because the client has a backbone...

i think caution is the word...so you would dive into a 6.5k job..most people cant afford to be bumped for that...bloody tory voters your not in the real world man...

An opinion was asked for on information provided. The fact that most members said the same thing says something.

£50 or £50,000? nobody likes to work for nothing and if the gut feeling is ringing alarm bells then it would be silly to ignore it. In this instance the OP stuck to his guns and took back dictatorship to a certain degree but we will only know the outcome on completion I guess.

NEVER be afraid to walk away, if it doesn't feel right then chances are that it is not so why risk it?

**** Just my opinion obviously ;) ****

Reply to should i or shouldnt i work for this customer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net