Discuss should you be honest in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

singingfraggle

Hello this is my first post
Did an eicr today due to problem with immersion switch being burnt out and only being able to
isolate by switching off ring main. problem was when dis board had been changed previously wrong wires
connected 1 leg of ring in 16a immersion mcb other leg and immersion cable in 32a mcb .obviously no testing done
and surprise surprise no cert provided on completion of job. should i be honest with little old lady and explain the danger
she has been under. so that she wont be scammed again or just put right certify and be on my way and not frighten her
your thoughts please

My thoughts? .......... Just do it and say nowt.

I used to do bits & pieces for a lovely old lady who lived in the next street and didn't tell her half of the scary stuff I found - I just quietly made it safe and did my best to keep the price right.

She died of cancer last month aged 86.

Should be a fairly simple fix shouldn't it? Unless there's any other similar problems in the board. Fix it, certify it and explain the importance of Electrical safety etc etc etc. Just don't go all Dominic Littlewood about it and really lay it on thick lol!

Hello this is my first post
Did an eicr today due to problem with immersion switch being burnt out and only being able to
isolate by switching off ring main. problem was when dis board had been changed previously wrong wires
connected 1 leg of ring in 16a immersion mcb other leg and immersion cable in 32a mcb .obviously no testing done
and surprise surprise no cert provided on completion of job. should i be honest with little old lady and explain the danger
she has been under. so that she wont be scammed again or just put right certify and be on my way and not frighten her
your thoughts please

You do not need to Frighten her, but you should show her the respect she deserves and inform if someone did something incorrect in her home and that you have put it right and here is the reasonable bill for this, take some pictures or something so she knows you are being honest and not scamming her.

Remember, it is all nice being upstanding and decent, but that does not pay your bills and feed your kids. No disrespect to anyone, but you go to work to earn a living not because you have OXFAM stamped on your forehead.

You do not need to Frighten her, but you should show her the respect she deserves and inform if someone did something incorrect in her home and that you have put it right and here is the reasonable bill for this, take some pictures or something so she knows you are being honest and not scamming her.

Remember, it is all nice being upstanding and decent, but that does not pay your bills and feed your kids. No disrespect to anyone, but you go to work to earn a living not because you have OXFAM stamped on your forehead.
but the long n short of it is if something is patently unsafe....like wrong choice & setting of OPDs and circuits with more than one source of supply ect then she needs gently explaining without either going all tech or scaring her like that little goblin likes to do on rogue traders...

ask her to make you a cup of tea so you can explain the technical bits...then while she is busy rifle through her things for jewelry and cash under the bed.

but the long n short of it is if something is patently unsafe....like wrong choice & setting of OPDs and circuits with more than one source of supply ect then she needs gently explaining without either going all tech or scaring her like that little goblin likes to do on rogue traders...

I think I said that in my Post about not frightening her!!

Tough call. I would talk about how certificates are important encourage her to start a file for them if she hasn't already done it.

Reply to should you be honest in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net