Discuss Shower Isolation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SKY

Hi Gents

Am I correct in thinking that to the 17th edition that the isolator for a electric shower must be 1.2m from the head of the shower?

Many Thanks

Planemad

Are you thinking of part M (building regs) with regard to maximum mounting height on new build? Remember that within bathrooms you are restricted by zones on where you can mount equipment (701.512.3), what if the 1.2mts falls within a zone 1

Edit: I have just re-read your OP (I'm a couple of world cup peroni's worse for wear:eek:) perhaps you are refering to the zone dimension of a shower without basin. But the deciding factor is still the reg I have refered to above.

Last edited:
my parents shower isolator is approx 3 meters away from shower in a Cupboard on the landing housing the electric pump for said shower..!!

i installed it there as it could not go in bathroom or on the outside wall as it was impractical..! its located nicely alongside teh FCU for the pump so when mr shower man comes to maintain the lovely shower/steam/radio thingy he can knock it all off together..! (mind you shower isolator also isolates the FCU)

A shower pull switch CANNOT go in zone 1. The actual pull cord may drop into zone 1, but he switch can't.

Iv not looked at the correct regs but im looking through the Electricians guide to the building regs. and it does state that the cord can fall into Zone 1 or 2 but the switch must be out of zoned and above 2.25m (ceiling height) is outside of zones.

But as I say this isnt from the big red book...

I like GStueyXR 's suggestion,

I am trying to work out how to make the pullcord stiff so it will stand up from the shower floor....................

Reply to Shower Isolation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net