Discuss Signing off my work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

I cannot get a straight answer from anywhere so I'm hoping you can help.

I am fully qualified C & G 2320 and 2330, 17th Edition. I'm a single mum and I am planning to go self employed, that way I can be there for the kids and get off benefits.
What I am struggling with is info on sign offs. I have phoned NIEIC and they say I'm qualified to join, just have to get two jobs signed off.
Here's the catch 22 I can fill in the green test sheets, then what?

Do I get another electrician with 2391 to sign off the green sheet or the council? Or do I go back and sign them off again once I am NIEIC qualified.
I can't get a straight answer anywhere and I'm really trying to get started here.

Any help would be really appreciated

best way forward is to use 2 jobs for assessment, then notify through your chosen leech organisation. you may find elecsa is more sparky friendly in this situation.

Send them your fee and get all the kit (books, insurances, calibrated test gear (although by the sounds of it you may already have this)) together. While you're doing this, work as normal.
When the assessor comes out, as your submissions WHICH I'M CERTAIN WERE ONLY DONE A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE VISIT! ​ which you will no doubt pass.
Then notify as required by law.
Jobs a goodun

Hi,

I think lots of people struggle with this!

When I got assessed I simply changed my own consumer unit, didn't worry about signing it off, got the assessor to come along and look at it/assess me and then signed it off afterwards as there was no way I was going to pay the building authorities £180 when I new i'd be signing it off my self afterwards!

However, that is not the correct way to do it! I guess the proper way to do it is notify the building authorities and pay the £180. I definitely wouldn't get another spark to sign it off as this is not recognised yet and I cant see an assessor looking favourably upon it.

I would ring NICEIC and ask to speak to one of the assessors and explain the situation as this must happen every single time someone wants to become registered with a sceme.

Good luck with your progress,Sonia,if you are a single mum,you already KNOW about hard work...the only issue with your post i have is you put the words NICIEC and "qualified",together. One,as you know is a result of training and experience.The other is a result of payment. :wacko:

Hi,

I had exactly the same situation a few years ago. I had all my certs, 17th, 2391 etc and first of all wanted to join a scheme so I could sign off my own Part P work. I spoke to local council and then Niceic who were a bit arsey about job needing to be signed off blah blah blah, even though I fully explained. I did the job, had everything and would Part P myself but they said no. So I rang Napit , explained and they said no problem. 1 job for assessment pay fee and sign off myself. I have now been out on my own for a few years and very happy with Napit especially as I'm not restricted to that domestic installer/approved contractor rubbish. Good luck
Chris

Hi Sonia.

You just need to have the jobs ready to show the assessor. They don't worry about notifications until they've seen them. Afterwards they will tell you to do the notifications if all is ok with them. They will not be worried or interested that you have not notified within 28 days of completion.

Best of luck with it.

he's almost in your league. give him a couple more years. :wheelchair:

Good luck with your progress,Sonia,if you are a single mum,you already KNOW about hard work...the only issue with your post i have is you put the words NICIEC and "qualified",together. One,as you know is a result of training and experience.The other is a result of payment. :wacko:
Well said,there just after your money,Napit or Elecsa are so much cheaper and more importantly,easier to deal with. Trust me on this and good luck to you.

I thing Geordie has more things to do with his pension than pay the stupid amounts of money the rest of you pay.

Correct!!

I have a classic 23 years old Celica cabriolet, two 14 years old MR2's and a 12 years old Mazda 626 - not to mention a classic Staffie Pikey to support.

Edit:

That bit about me supporting the Pikey is not true. The truth is that since I took poorly Last October it's been she who's been supporting me - and still we haven't had a diagnosis of my problem - but she's been a Godsend!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct!!

I have a classic 23 years old Celica cabriolet, two 14 years old MR2's and a 12 years old Mazda 626 - not to mention a classic Staffie Pikey to support.

Edit:

That bit about me supporting the Pikey is not true. The truth is that since I took poorly Last October it's been she who's been supporting me - and still we haven't had a diagnosis of my problem - but she's been a Godsend!!

Despite the fact I waterlogged your carpet.......... :frown2::73:

Reply to Signing off my work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net