• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Single phase circuit on 3 phase system calc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a query about calculating current in a 3 phase system. So a 22kw load in 3 phase assuming a power factor of 0.8 would be 22000/(1.732x400x0.8) = 39.69A

and say a 7.2kw load on a single phase supply would be 31.30A if you simply use ohms law.

But what happens when you calculate the current in a single phase circuit on a 3 phase system. I.e a single phase load connected to L1 (or L2 or L3) and neutral? Do you use the single phase current calc or the 3 phase current calc?. and why?

Hi,

I have a query about calculating current in a 3 phase system. So a 22kw load in 3 phase assuming a power factor of 0.8 would be 22000/(1.732x400x0.8) = 39.69A

and say a 7.2kw load on a single phase supply would be 31.30A if you simply use ohms law.

But what happens when you calculate the current in a single phase circuit on a 3 phase system. I.e a single phase load connected to L1 (or L2 or L3) and neutral? Do you use the single phase current calc or the 3 phase current calc?. and why?
Most SP&N are derived from a TP4 wire supply so use SP &N calculations, out of interest are you a Trainee??

Hi Pete, yes new to the industry. It's one of those questions the textbooks don't really answer and I'm now studying 3 phase. So to clarify, if I have a 3 phase DB and put a single phase circuit with 5kw on L1, L2 or L3 it's exactly the same current calculation as if it was a single phase installation?.

Thanks for your response, new to the site and really appreciate your help.

Hi Pete, yes new to the industry. It's one of those questions the textbooks don't really answer and I'm now studying 3 phase. So to clarify, if I have a 3 phase DB and put a single phase circuit with 5kw on L1, L2 or L3 it's exactly the same current calculation as if it was a single phase installation?.

The voltage would not be three phase 400V for the circuit you are doing the calc for so you wouldn't use the three phase 400V calc.

What you do need to pay attention to is load balancing across the DB when adding single phase circuits to three phase systems.

If you are currently undergoing training, apply to Admin for access to the Trainee area, Westward10 is an Admin member contact him, sure he will help you out.

Yes. As mentioned above. a single-phase installation using one line and neutral, is simply one third of a three-phase installation. You have slightly added to the confusion by including power-factor in the 3-phase equation but omitting it from the single (it's the same for both) and mentioning Ohm's law, which deals with resistance, not power.

There is actually no difference in the way current and power are calculated for single phase and balanced three-phase. The 3-phase equation looks different because:
a) it deals with the power supplied by all three phases at once, and
b) when describing a 3-phase system it is conventional to quote the line-line voltage (400V in the UK) which is √3 (1.732) times the line-neutral voltage (230V in the UK). Those two voltages come from the same system, it's just a matter of where you measure.

So we can take the simple single-phase power equation P = I x V, where V refers to the line-neutral voltage, and convert it into the three-phase equation. We'll ignore power-factor for now, you can include it in either single or 3-phase calculations if it's applicable.

P = I x V (where P is the power supplied by one phase, V is the line-neutral voltage)
Now substitute V (line-line) /√3 for V (line-neutral)
P = I x V (line-line) / √3
And multiply by three so that P becomes the total power, not just of one phase
P = 3 x I x V (line-line) / √3
But 3 / √3 = √3, so that cancels:
P= √3 x I x V(line-line)
Which rearranges to:
I = P / (√3 x V (line-line))
Which on a UK supply becomes
I = P / (1.732 x 400)
I.e. what you stated to begin with for 3-phase systems.

So it's the same calculation, just altered to make more sense when dealing with three phases at once.

Welcome to the forum if you are interested in joining the Trainee section follow this link.

Reply to Single phase circuit on 3 phase system calc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back