Discuss Single phase power all thats avaiable for new workshop build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello Everyone, new to the forum and looking for some advice on a new workshop,...[snip].... I can get a single phase 100A supply easy enough ...
Robert
SSEN specify 100A max for domestic but say 100, 200, 315, 400 and 630 amp for industrial/commercial. Does the single-phase supply have the capacity to be uprated to 200A if you signed-up as an industrial customer? Worth asking the question.

SSEN specify 100A max for domestic but say 100, 200, 315, 400 and 630 amp for industrial/commercial. Does the single-phase supply have the capacity to be uprated to 200A if you signed-up as an industrial customer? Worth asking the question.
Have just asked this very question, and the answer was to upgrade from 100A it would need to be a 3 phase supply.
The guy said that 100A was the max they could supply to any property on single phase.

Have you considered a generator?
Either diesel or natural gas powered if it’s available at your location.
From the information you have supplied, sounds like a base load generator is the answer, may be should have considered your load requirements prior to planning the workshop project, whatever choice you take good luck.

How often would these larger loads be required?
Have you considered having an auto start generator fitted just for the 3 phase loads.
If you can get a second single phase supply to the property there should be no problem getting a 3 phase supply and why would you want 2 separate bills.

The re-newable energy option in that location could be a good resolution as you would also be getting some money back if feeding on to the network.

But that all being said all the options are costly so if it is a matter of not being able to justify the expenditure then building closer to a supply or even finding a suitable existing site might be the answer.
The larger loads would be infrequent use at best, and i have been thinking about it realistically. the only time that 2 of these things would be running at the same time would be lets say a press brake and guillotine running at the same time.
Now you would be alternating the use, i.e when bending you wouldn't be cutting etc. so even if this were 2 x 10hp motors one would be idling while the other was working so you would never have the load going all at once. or lets say you had the lathe going, you would only be using the lathe and nothing else so i'm now thinking that the single phase will be more than enough to cope.
what do you think with the above circumstances?
and as far as a generator goes, im really not going to go down that route. just another thing to look after and to get a decent one its going to be very expensive.

From the information you have supplied, sounds like a base load generator is the answer, may be should have considered your load requirements prior to planning the workshop project, whatever choice you take good luck.
A base load generator would be good, but as i said above i dont think it would be a realistic option price wise to get a decent unit with the power requirements i need.
To be honest i think now looking at the way i am planning to use these machines i.e one at the time. i dont think if i use them like that i will have any issue at all. even using 2 at the time if they were say 5kw each shouldn't be an issue. and as far as any other load goes there will be an LED lighting circuit, several sockets, maybe a radio playing, no electric heating will be installed so the only real load will be the tools and equipment but if only using 1 to 2 of the large units at once i now am starting to think it may be a non issue.
what do you think?
thanks
Robert

Have just asked this very question, and the answer was to upgrade from 100A it would need to be a 3 phase supply.
The guy said that 100A was the max they could supply to any property on single phase.
Is the shed big enough to be split into two 'starter units' that each would need a supply? ;) Agree that 100A is enough to keep a busy workshop running, adding up the worst case usually paints an unrealistically gloomy picture, even in many domestic settings.

Is the shed big enough to be split into two 'starter units' that each would need a supply? ;) Agree that 100A is enough to keep a busy workshop running, adding up the worst case usually paints an unrealistically gloomy picture, even in many domestic settings.
Yes it will be 15m long by 10m wide but im thinking ive now written all possible tools and equipment i have and hope to get down and yes if you had 4 of these units running at once it may be an issue but in reality in a 1 to 2 person workshop, even a workshop with 4 or 5 people the chances of having several machines on at once is slim to none. so from that i can be nearly sure it would be less than he 100A or 23KVA available to me.
I'm pretty sure anyway.
If needs be in the future if there was some sort of massive expansion then i suppose 3 phase could be an option

Are the rotary ones just no good or why dont you reccomend them?

No, it's just a compromise solution. If you have a converter rated for 30hp of load, that has to be running almost idling all the time you want to use a small 3-phase device that can be wasteful. It does nothing to temper the possible heavy starting loads, just makes them bigger and transfers them to the single-phase supply. Then when running, the performance and efficiency of the load motors can be somewhat reduced. An inverter on the other hand can be finely tuned to get the most appropriate starting characteristics for its machine, with a minumum of surge load, and then allows the motor to work at peak efficiency. The main drawback is initial cost, and some motors are not configurable to run from a singe-phase-input inverter.

Would a new secondary supply single phase not be coming from the same place as the three phase supply would need to come from?

As I understand it the transformer feeding the site is single-phase, as is the 11kV overhead line. There might be more single-phase power available from the existing transformer, but to change to 3-phase requires an extra 11kV line and a new 3-phase transformer.

No, it's just a compromise solution. If you have a converter rated for 30hp of load, that has to be running almost idling all the time you want to use a small 3-phase device that can be wasteful. It does nothing to temper the possible heavy starting loads, just makes them bigger and transfers them to the single-phase supply. Then when running, the performance and efficiency of the load motors can be somewhat reduced. An inverter on the other hand can be finely tuned to get the most appropriate starting characteristics for its machine, with a minumum of surge load, and then allows the motor to work at peak efficiency. The main drawback is initial cost, and some motors are not configurable to run from a singe-phase-input inverter.

As I understand it the transformer feeding the site is single-phase, as is the 11kV overhead line. There might be more single-phase power available from the existing transformer, but to change to 3-phase requires an extra 11kV line and a new 3-phase transformer.
Thanks for that reply
So as I don't have any of these machines yet, I could buy ones that are either single phase where available, and if not get ones that can be run from inverters.
The other option I found is a digital 3 phase converter, I assume these work with an inverter type set up but not sure exactly.
Do you know about these?

And yes there are only 2 overhead 11kv lines, for me to get 3 phase I need to get them to install a 3rd overhead cable around a mile over a hill which just can't be justified financially.

I honestly think you could get a half decent 3 phase genset and years worth of diesel for less than the cost of getting the dno to upgrade. As far as I know these can be run on red diesel so less tax than road fuels. At the very least it gets the business up and running, bringing in revenue to possibly fund the network connection costs later down the line.

I honestly think you could get a half decent 3 phase genset and years worth of diesel for less than the cost of getting the dno to upgrade. As far as I know these can be run on red diesel so less tax than road fuels. At the very least it gets the business up and running, bringing in revenue to possibly fund the network connection costs later down the line.
I have thought about this, since the last message in this I have also specced all the machines I will be using, and I was quite surprised, the max motor size is 7.5kw as I said before but most of the motors for everything else are less than half of that, and even with a 23kv single phase supply I'm quite sure I will get nowhere near that. Maybe in the future if it expands dramatically then it is possible that I may need more and the geni / upgrade option will come in to play, but weel see what happens. Anyway that's my thoughts on it for now.

The genset and years worth of diesel may be less than the cost of the DNO upgrade, but will it still be less with the next year's worth of diesel? And the next after that?

That option is cheaper now but in 20 years time will have cost a lot more in total,espexially with servicing and repairs to the generator, plus downtime due to breakdowns.

I think if your carefull about how you use your machines and when ! Then a single phase will work.
Perhaps consider swapping out the three phase motors for single phase motors.
Yes i have looked at this also, (new motors i mean) but to be honest seeing as im starting out i will hopefully just buy single phase machines where available and if not buy a 240 3 phase capable machine and fit a VFD, with the benefits of start up being reduced etc.

Reply to Single phase power all thats avaiable for new workshop build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock