Discuss sma inverter testing string voltage & current in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marc8

-
Reaction score
have sma 3600tl inverter, done tests on each individual panel as installed also each string when connected
together got results.

then see my meter solar 150pv tester you can also plug into string when connected to inverter, just wanted
to know if i can connect at inverter point for each string as 3600tl has 2 connection points for each string to do
tests? or do i have to join set of test leads in at dc isolator & do final tests?

i know inverter gives readings for power, current & watts for both strings one at a time & could take these as my final readings, but would like to take readings also with solar 150 as then i can save them to file electronically
& put them into electronic test sheet. just did not know if that is possible or could it damage inverter in theory
same could be said if i do the tests in parallel with inverter after isolator?

just newbie to solar any help would be much appreciated

make a set of test leads with MC4 connectors on. Connect them to DC isolator, plug in PV150 tester and test record readings via auto save
No need to test via the inverter.

We've made up test leads with MC4's on (suits most inverters inc Power One) and a pair of MC4 / Sunclix adapter leads - we have filed / sawn off the retaining clips on both the male and female MC4's and Sunclix that way they just push in / pull out without breaking your nails or needing a special tool aka small screwdriver. So testing 30+ strings is quick and easy ....

hi Worcester
sorry just to clarify i have a set of mc4 leads with tester no probs doing test, as sma dual string inverter has 2 plus 2 negs for each string does that mean they are a common on each side & could i test at that point? would save me making up more leads & undoing work already done just to do test,
want to do all tests this way i can current lead up, irradiation test & voltage ect all at same time & record in real time with inverter?
hope that lot makes sense
will make up leads if i cant, will even make a set of Y connectors & keep them this way no need to
undo dc isolator each time just turn off connect all leads test then take out Y connection.

Don't test through the inverter, you'll get readings associated with the inverter side mixed in, so you won't get a Voc, also you can't do your Isc that way - it's a string test, the SMA inverter doesn't use MC4's anyway...

look at you lot with your fancy test meters... they're on my shopping list, but as we're having to buy all the kit for heat pumps, biomass, F-Gas and another van coz our spark broke his van, I reckon we'll have to make do with our multimeters and MFTs for a bit longer, unless santa is feeling generous.

hi gavin
tell me about it just to get of the ground it is costing a pretty pennie only wanted to do my own solar after installing about 50 immersun's & seeing what people were saving.

Reply to sma inverter testing string voltage & current in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net