Discuss Small dual mppt inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BruceB

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am quoting for a small job where the roof changes pitch and has a dormer, In 240W panels I cound get 1680W on one string and 960W on another. Anyone know of a small dual mppt inverter that could manage that?
Regards
Bruce

Have you thought of the Enecsys Micro Inverters?

I've not seen much in design below 6 panels per mppt to be honest and thats at 245wt panels. May be micros on the lesser side and one inverter to the bigger?

Yes, that is probably the way to go. Just makes it less economic.

I was playing around with the Power One spreadsheet as they have a 3kW inverter with dual mppt. The spreadsheet said I should reduce the start voltage on one input. I am not sure it can be but will investigate.

Regards
Bruce

Economic. Upsolar 240W. I could squeeze more power out of the roof if I went for something like Sanyo HIT, but price of panels is almost 50% more.
Regards
Bruce

Edit: Changed my mind. Use Sanyo HIT N240 and I can fit enough power on the roof as they are so much more efficient. Hope they can afford it!

Last edited:
Hi Bruce,

With the UPsolar modules, your V-start is a little too low.
However, as far as I can see 4x HIT N240's should be OK with a Power-One (Aurora) 3.0.

They ship with a V-start of 130V and have 2x independent MPPT trackers. So a string of 4 and a string of 7 should be fine.
If you want a price, or any further information, please send me a PM.

Regards,
Christopher

Thanks for that. Also with the smaller format high efficiency Sanyo panels I can have 8 and 5 rather than 7 and 4, so Sanyo it is.
Regards
Bruce

Yes, that is probably the way to go. Just makes it less economic.

I was playing around with the Power One spreadsheet as they have a 3kW inverter with dual mppt. The spreadsheet said I should reduce the start voltage on one input. I am not sure it can be but will investigate.

Regards
Bruce

We have used the Power one 3.6 inverter for a split system (east / west) and it works very well almost same as south! But panel split was even on that one.

I looked at Kostal and unless I have missed something then their smallest inverter is 3kW with only one mppt.

The Power-One PVI-3.0-OUTD has twin mppt and sits quite nicely with 8 and 5 Sanyo 240W panels respectively on each string without any adjustment. So I have a solution albeit with more expensive panels than I wanted.

Regards
Bruce

I have read your link carefully and it says one tracker???
Capture.JPG

and Steca range looks useful - had not bumped into them before

Regards
Bruce

Last edited:
we are about to install our first east west, having checked out the powerone inverters the PVI-3.0-OUTD states that they are suitable for this application, however the indoor equivalent does not state this, yet they appear to be essentially the same?
Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Mark

Reply to Small dual mppt inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net