Discuss Smoke extractor fan? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken_Johnson

Flat conversion project and one flat is accessed via the first floor but actually is on the second floor.

Regs guy initially said a AOV would be required at the head of the second floor stairs, then changed his mind if there was an entrance lobby - great, we thought; and constructed a lobby. Now, he says we need a smoke extractor fan (as AOV wouldn't fit even if we could install) but everything is now plastered! Bugger!

Any recommendations for such fans?

Don't know if this would meet the requirements, But on a previous job we installed power to a Window which opened in the event of the fire alarm being triggered. Possibly easier to get one of them kits than to install a fan. But This may not meet the LBC requirements.

Flat conversion project and one flat is accessed via the first floor but actually is on the second floor.

Regs guy initially said a AOV would be required at the head of the second floor stairs, then changed his mind if there was an entrance lobby - great, we thought; and constructed a lobby. Now, he says we need a smoke extractor fan (as AOV wouldn't fit even if we could install) but everything is now plastered! Bugger!

Any recommendations for such fans?

What regs guy? building, scam?

Don't know if this would meet the requirements, But on a previous job we installed power to a Window which opened in the event of the fire alarm being triggered. Possibly easier to get one of them kits than to install a fan. But This may not meet the LBC requirements.

This is the AOV I was referring to that we were originally going to install but couldn't make it fit (not enough space in the roof area). The Building Regs chap then said if we have downstairs lobby entrance, it won't be required but has now said it still is but a smoke extractor fan will do.

I'm not UK based so I don't know your regs as such but there's different fan systems for fire purposes. Stairwells critical for access and evac are often pressurised with fresh air in the case of fire alarm, this keeps them smoke free and the positive pressure keeps the fire away from them. Lobbies can be a different issue depending on the building layout. I'd strongly suggest getting advice from a fire company as per the specific requirements for your building, if it's anything like it is where I am you'll need a qualified engineers signature on the design if it's flats.

Reply to Smoke extractor fan? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net