Discuss Socket and switch heights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've looked at things from both sides now,
From in and out, but still somehow it's to the Regs I bow
(Apologies to Joni Mitchell)

Reg 553.01.06 "A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug."

Part M of the Building Regulations (section 8) does not actually specify the required position but does go on to suggest that in habitable rooms this will be achieved by mounting the switches etc. between 45cm and 1.2m above the floor level.

Thank you all for helping me to rethink the whole thing. It's been interesting to see from the other persons side.

Last edited:
sometime s the problems come from ill-educated building inspectors. i once had a pratt insisted that cables fixed on a wall that was to be dry-lined must have capping.

I recently had this discussion with a guy on my crew at work who does kitchen renovations. Last year he did a kitchen refit for another crew member and he insisted that all the new sockets in the kitchen and new dinning room had to be at the ‘new build’ heights, so the customer has sockets at one end of the dinning room about 250-300mm from the floor and the other end they’re all at minimum of 450mm from the floor, there’s even 2 double sockets which are roughly 3ft from each other, 1 at 250mm & the other at 450mm, but he still insists that’s what ‘the rules say’, but based on some other photos I’ve seen, I don’t think he’s ever even owned a Lego set in his life. :) :) :)

I recently had this discussion with a guy on my crew at work who does kitchen renovations. Last year he did a kitchen refit for another crew member and he insisted that all the new sockets in the kitchen and new dinning room had to be at the ‘new build’ heights, so the customer has sockets at one end of the dinning room about 250-300mm from the floor and the other end they’re all at minimum of 450mm from the floor, there’s even 2 double sockets which are roughly 3ft from each other, 1 at 250mm & the other at 450mm, but he still insists that’s what ‘the rules say’, but based on some other photos I’ve seen, I don’t think he’s ever even owned a Lego set in his life. :) :) :)
he's a pr1ck.

Reply to Socket and switch heights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net