Discuss socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think its a good idea to show extremes when getting your point across XT but... you are just looking at overcurrent with the above example not fault current, also it would be completely unrecognised by electricians and therefore far more likely to cause problems and also its against the regs, whereas one 2.5mm spur from the origin would be ok for fault current, fairly recognised and adhere to the regs.

But!! If it was just a 2.5mm coming out of a 32A MCB with no ring then why not advise the housholder to change to a 20A MCB, you dont have to but it seems like a good idea.

I certainly wouldn't advocate the scenario, and have always worked on the basis of MCB egual or less than CCC of cable. I have always replaced 'offending' MCB's in the past with something more 'suitable' but maybe I've been over cautious? I don't get involved with EICR's so don't have the dilemma of which code is 'appropriate' :)

I've always thought that the sole purpose of the Fuse/MCB was to protect the cable ie the MCB needs to be equal to or less than the maximum current carrying capacity of the cable. So in this case, the 32A MCB is not suitable.....

Overload protection does not have to be at the origin of the circuit...

So based on this assumption I could wire a single 13A socket on the end of some 1mm cable from a 50A MCB in the CU?

No, because even though, in your example, overload considerations may be met (though doubtful), thermal constraints (cpc fault current) certainly are not.

The op of this thread EICR different story, BUT to create a radial 2.5mm backed by 32amp mcb, come on basic electrical craft principles never mind 1.5mm, and all this talk about relying on fused appliance's to protect the CIRCUIT against overload current is crab.!!!

I certainly wouldn't advocate the scenario, and have always worked on the basis of MCB egual or less than CCC of cable. I have always replaced 'offending' MCB's in the past with something more 'suitable' but maybe I've been over cautious? I don't get involved with EICR's so don't have the dilemma of which code is 'appropriate' :)

I wouldn't say that.. I'd say "sensible". :smile:

Have a look in some industrial busbar chambers for how conductors are protected coming off the busbar against overload (and fault) ......

Ok i will just use any breaker i have spare in the van for any circuit then provided its fused at the end of the circuit somewhere

Ok i will just use any breaker i have spare in the van for any circuit then provided its fused at the end of the circuit somewhere

The cable would be protected against overload - IF

It only served one piece of equipment at the end of it's run and nothing on the way, so you can't have a radial with 3 double sockets on it obviously.

Obviously you can't have a 16A socket at the end because these have no fuse system, but you could have one 13A socket or one switch fuse (fused appropriately for the cable)

I am not saying I go out of my way to install like this, I use an appropriate sized MCB at the origin like anyone else, but technically you don't have to.

But then you are giving no consideration to thermal constraints...

Producing extreme and ridiculous examples does nothing to contribute to this debate...IF overload and thermal constraint limitations are met, it complies with BS7671 so no code, no comment :13:

Why do you think it is acceptable to install a 2.5 spur from an RFC?

Reply to socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net